Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fbx

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 30, 2007
I have an original iPhone that has a crack in the top edge of the glass. Phone works fine and there is no problem other than cosmetic. Phone is 2 yrs old and I presume out of warranty.

How can I get the glass face of the iPhone replaced and what might it cost? Anyone been through this?

Many thanks

Pgohlke

macrumors 6502
Jan 9, 2009
Centerville, Ohio
take it to an apple store. Last time I was there a lady was getting her glass on her 1st gen replaced. From other posts I've seen it will cost you around $150.

Apple Ink

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2008
If I remember correctly.. the 1st gen had the glass stuck to the lcd... meaning the whole thing must be replaced as one!

Nicholas.C

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2008
The apple iPhone first gen screen are al fused together at the factory. (lcd, digitzer and front glass..) This isn't a good picture. but it'll show you the part

n1364674890_30242841_9736.jpg

DPA

macrumors 65816
If I remember correctly.. the 1st gen had the glass stuck to the lcd... meaning the whole thing must be replaced as one!

Correct. This was an excuse I heard from Apple as to why it was so expensive just to replace a piece of glass. They said it was impossible for them to replace just the glass and that they had to replace the whole digitizer, glass and LCD.\\

If you are out of warranty, they probably won't replace the glass for the $250 unless you are just out of warranty by about a month and you get a cool Genius. You would be better off just buying a new iPhone 3G. But there is a higher monthly rate.:rolleyes:

David

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.