Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

daniel_m

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 11, 2018
I'm looking to upgrade my old iphone and the XS seems like a perfect fit to me. However, as we all know Apple discontinued this product so I'm basically left with limited options. Buying it in cash from a local carrier comes out to about $1250 (pre-tax) in Canada which is more than the new iPhone 11, that I do not want to buy.

Looking on Craigslist, there's a couple of "BNIB" still sealed iPhone XS's being sold for $700-$1000. The biggest concern I have with this is that the seller will report the phone as stolen after I purchase it from them, which will put the IMEI on a blacklist virtually rendering the phone unusable. Does anyone have any tips on how I can get a new iPhone XS without putting myself at risk on Craigslist? Perhaps going in person to the carrier at which they purchased the phone to declare that they're selling the phone before I register it? I really have no idea.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I'm looking to upgrade my old iphone and the XS seems like a perfect fit to me. However, as we all know Apple discontinued this product so I'm basically left with limited options. Buying it in cash from a local carrier comes out to about $1250 (pre-tax) in Canada which is more than the new iPhone 11, that I do not want to buy.

Looking on Craigslist, there's a couple of "BNIB" still sealed iPhone XS's being sold for $700-$1000. The biggest concern I have with this is that the seller will report the phone as stolen after I purchase it from them, which will put the IMEI on a blacklist virtually rendering the phone unusable. Does anyone have any tips on how I can get a new iPhone XS without putting myself at risk on Craigslist? Perhaps going in person to the carrier at which they purchased the phone to declare that they're selling the phone before I register it? I really have no idea.

Your last paragraph would be the only real option I would consider, you would have to personally go to a corporate carrier store, they would have to verify the IMEI/serial # info, run the background and then inform you that the phone is cleared.

but even so, it’s always best to purchase direct from the source itself if you can find that option with Apple.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

Spudlicious

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2015
Bedfordshire, England

Your desire to own an XS certainly shows you to be a person of refined taste, penetrating intelligence, and excellent judgement :)
I agree with previous posters that if resellers such as Amazon cannot meet your needs then Apple refurb is absolutely your best and safest bet, although they are compulsive price-gougers. Example, right now Apple UK lists refurb iPhone XS 64GB at £699, which is £70 more than I paid new from Amazon. But you can view an Apple refurb as being effectively a new phone, whereas you are right to be suspicious of a box from a possibly nefarious internet supplier; the web is dark and full of terrors, as they almost said on GoT.

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
Personally I would never buy an iPhone from a Craigslist seller. I'd buy lots of other things on CL - but not an iPhone

Reactions: 4sallypat

4sallypat

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2016
So Calif
best to worst:
  • Apple refurbished online
  • Amazon
  • eBay (both eBay and PayPal protects buyers from sellers reporting stolen later)
  • Swappa
  • LetGo
  • OfferUp
  • CL

parker5011

macrumors regular
May 17, 2018
Swappa.com

Great site and they do the leg work of making sure the phone is not blacklisted. Also possible to negotiate

daniel_m

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 11, 2018
Thanks for the replies guys. I guess Craigslist should be off the table for me even though it is very tempting seeing those sealed boxes. Amazon is discouraging because of this: "The product may have minimal scratches or dents, and a battery with at least 80% capacity". Does anyone know what the condition will be like with Apple refurbished? Will the battery be used up as well? I really wanted to go with a brand new phone but this hassle might make me just wait for the iphone 12, as beautiful as the XS is..

Spudlicious

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2015
Bedfordshire, England
Thanks for the replies guys. I guess Craigslist should be off the table for me even though it is very tempting seeing those sealed boxes. Amazon is discouraging because of this: "The product may have minimal scratches or dents, and a battery with at least 80% capacity". Does anyone know what the condition will be like with Apple refurbished? Will the battery be used up as well? I really wanted to go with a brand new phone but this hassle might make me just wait for the iphone 12, as beautiful as the XS is..

I believe an Apple refurb will have a new battery and housing, ie it will be absolutely as new.

daniel_m

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 11, 2018
I believe an Apple refurb will have a new battery and housing, ie it will be absolutely as new.

hmm. That would make things more interesting then. But for some reason, Apple doesn't seem to sell refurbished iPhones in Canada: https://www.apple.com/ca/shop/refurbished

Checking Ebay, I see some reputable sellers with good reviews that are selling still-sealed XS's. More expensive than CL, but I believe this might be the best and safest option for those of us who are still looking for this model.

Swappa had mostly used phones.

freeagent

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2020
There is no safe way to buy a used carrier iPhone.
My carrier sells Apple certified pre owned. I got an xs max that way and IMO it was a brand new phone for half the price of retail. No swirls, scratches, 100% battery, and AppleCare.

4sallypat

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2016
So Calif
... Checking Ebay, I see some reputable sellers with good reviews that are selling still-sealed XS's. More expensive than CL, but I believe this might be the best and safest option for those of us who are still looking for this model.

Swappa had mostly used phones.
As an eBay seller and buyer, I have to say that eBay and PayPal both protects the buyer more than the seller.
When I buy something, if it does not match the description, I can get a quick resolution - return it.

As a seller, I have to go to extra efforts to prevent returns and dissatisfaction by offering a 30 day return privilege, packages of value must be signed by the buyer, and I put tamper seals on my items to prevent swapping out of internals, etc...

Reactions: daniel_m

MarkC426

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2008
UK
Then buy a new one from Amazon.......
New is new.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
My carrier sells Apple certified pre owned. I got an xs max that way and IMO it was a brand new phone for half the price of retail. No swirls, scratches, 100% battery, and AppleCare.

I didn't realize carriers sold Apple certified pre-owned. Which carrier is that?

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
New is new.

May not be possible depending on region.

In the US, Amazon isn't an authorized seller for unlocked iPhones. Only brand-new iPhones available there are for prepaid carriers like Cricket and Tracfone.

Reactions: MarkC426

daniel_m

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 11, 2018
New is new.

As far as I can tell there are no new iPhone XS's on Amazon.ca, only "renewed" (i.e. refurb)

MarkC426

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2008
UK
I hear ya, I was assuming same availability from Amazon everywhere....... ?
That's unfortunate.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.