How to get Home Sharing to work?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by imlovinit, Dec 25, 2015.

1. imlovinit macrumors 6502

imlovinit

I have turned on home sharing and the apple tv 4 still tells me to turn it on? Is there something I'm doing wrong? I'm on the same wifi network, have turned it on, and yet nothing.

2. Mac... nificent macrumors 6502

Yes. Use the search engine. This is a fairly well documented issue with :apple:TV4.

3. imlovinit thread starter macrumors 6502

imlovinit

I have used the search engine and not finding the exact problems. People having issues with Home Share at least working to an extent then having issues again after the update. I haven't had any luck getting it to work to begin with. Even google isn't really helping me find a cause or similar problem.

Such a shame this is a "well documented issue" for something that used to be simple to use.

4. Mac... nificent macrumors 6502

If none of the suggestions have worked for you then you will have to wait for Apple to issue an update that fixes the problem. It's frustrating I know, but our hands are tied. Most of the issue seems to be on Apples end. Some people have no problems at all with Home Sharing, and others (like you and me) have legitimate issues, even though we're doing everything right :(

5. imlovinit thread starter macrumors 6502

imlovinit

Guess so.

I'm glad it was a gift otherwise I'd more than likely just return it.

6. GlenK macrumors 6502a

GlenK

Yea, home sharing and photos don't work for me. I sign into Photos then it goes right back to the sign in screen.
    Finally just gave up.

7. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

It is working fine for me. I figured out the trick is to check "Selected albums" the check all albums below that then I can see everything. If I check "All photos and albums" it does not work. This screen is in the iTunes home sharing options.

If you don't have all your photos in albums, I made a smart album that lists all photos not in albums and that shows photos you have not manually placed in an album.

Screen Shot 2015-12-26 at 9.00.00 AM.png

8. priitv8 macrumors 68020

Why share Photos via iTunes, if aTV can stream them directly from iCloud?
    I see the need for Aperture photos, but Photos app relies on iCloud Photo Stream/Library anyway?

9. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

For me, I don't want to pay to store my photos in iCloud Photo Library when I can get what I need free with Home Sharing.

10. priitv8 macrumors 68020

So you use that poor Photos app just as iPhoto replacement, without iCloud?
    PS iCloud Photostream doesn't count towards storage usage. Only Photo Library does.

11. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Yep. Migrated everything over from Aperture and adapted to using Photos and I am perfectly happy with it.

Yes, I realize that, but Photostream is only the last 30 days.

12. priitv8 macrumors 68020

I cant imagine going from Aperture to Photos. The functionality gap is way too big. And don't get me started on UI ;)
    I have the feeling that I still can see my pics from more than a year ago. I admit the service proposition is not clear at all.