How to get homemade video onto iPad1?

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by avatars, Oct 1, 2011.

1. avatars macrumors newbie

iPhoto used to be an easy place that automatically stored and provided access to homemade videos that were shot using a camera. I cannot recall exactly when, but one of the iPhoto upgrades changed this functionality, and it still stores the video in iPhoto, but I have to use Quicktime or iMovie to access the video on my iMac.

I have videos in iPhoto from that prior functionality, and they transferred to my iPad1 with a regular synch. I shot some new video using a regular camera, and I cannot find a way to transfer it to my iPad1. In the photos synch section I have it set to include videos, and in the movies section I have it set to include all movies. I even created a project in iMovie so that it exists outside of iPhoto, but still no luck. I have done some searching in this forum and cannot find this topic, so if I missed it, I apologize for creating a duplicate thread :eek:

Advice is appreciated :)

2. HengenJL macrumors 6502a

HengenJL

the videos need to be converted to an iPad friendly format. I don't know anything about iMovie, but I would expect that there is a way to convert videos in it. or download Handbrake and use the iPad preset.

Video formats supported: H.264 video up to 720p, 30 frames per second, Main Profile level 3.1 with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats; MPEG-4 video, up to 2.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per second, Simple Profile with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps per channel, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats; Motion JPEG (M-JPEG) up to 35 Mbps, 1280 by 720 pixels, 30 frames per second, audio in ulaw, PCM stereo audio in .avi file format

3. MaxBurn macrumors 65816

MaxBurn

4. avatars thread starter macrumors newbie

Than you for the advice. It looks like handbrake will work for exporting from iPhoto, but it does not work with iMove, which is where I compiled multiple clips into one project. In order to export from iMovie, it looks like I need to drop $100 on Toast, or a similar program :/ Just trying to find a cheap way to view my own content on my iPad1 :(

5. Zcott macrumors 68020

You should be able to export from iMovie into an iTunes friendly format...

6. avatars thread starter macrumors newbie

:D Thank you for the tip! I found the 'share/iTunes' option in iMovie. I figured Apple had to have a way to transfer content across their device spectrum, but could not figure it out.