Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

crazylegsmurphy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 18, 2008
Hey Everyone,

It seems the question of whether it's possible to get Hotmail on the iPhone is one that for some reason simply isn't getting answered correctly. I was given this link a while ago and I have successfully had Hotmail being "fetched" by my phone since the second day I purchased it.

Follow the instructions in the following link to the tee and it should work for you.

Hotmail on the iPhone

Good luck,

Jeff

J

jblnks3

I tried those steps and when I typed in the address I want the my mail forward to I got this message "You're only able to forward mail to a custom domain or an e-mail address that ends in hotmail.com, msn.com, or live.com. Please try again." I'm trying to forward it to my yahoo account.

firestarter03

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2008
I followed these instructions and it has worked but I have just noticed one thing. When I reply to messages sent to my hotmail from my iphone, the receiving inbox believes it was sent from my gmail address.

If I reply from my PC, then the receiving inbox says- From: xxx@gmail.com sent on behalf of xxx@hotmail.com.

Does anyone know how to make it appear it is from my hotmail?

crazylegsmurphy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 18, 2008
I tried those steps and when I typed in the address I want the my mail forward to I got this message "You're only able to forward mail to a custom domain or an e-mail address that ends in hotmail.com, msn.com, or live.com. Please try again." I'm trying to forward it to my yahoo account.

Hey jblnks,

I had that issue as well, but I had to do it exactly as the instructions state...to the tee, step for step. I'm not saying that you didn't, but give it another try. I know the instructions seem to be a little misleading in how they're written, but it does work.

I followed these instructions and it has worked but I have just noticed one thing. When I reply to messages sent to my hotmail from my iphone, the receiving inbox believes it was sent from my gmail address.

If I reply from my PC, then the receiving inbox says- From: xxx@gmail.com sent on behalf of xxx@hotmail.com.

Well, the thing is that it's forwarding the e-mails to your Gmail so I suppose technically those e-mails are no longer a part of Hotmail. It's the same as if you forwarded an email from your Gmail account to your hotmail, it would show it coming from Gmail.

The reason for doing it this way is to get hotmail on your phone without having to pay. If you want to send an e-mail back through hotmail I believe you'll still have to manually log into Safari/Hotmail and send it through there.

Personally, I'm trying to phase out my hotmail account. I can't stand that it deletes all your messages and such if you don't log in for 30 days, and a few other things. The only reason I even have it forwarded to my iPhone is for the odd MSN related e-mail I get, but I have even then told my contacts to please use my other address.

I know that might not be the same for you....so to answer your question, I don't know....but at least you can get your e-mail on your phone, and that's better than logging in every 20 min to check it.

crazylegsmurphy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 18, 2008

It does say this in the post...

* If you reply to a message on the iPhone or in Gmail, to your recipients it will look like it came from your Hotmail address.

So it should be working....

klex

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2007
This doesn't work for me. Followed instructions to a tee. Hotmail does not allow me to forward to a non-microsoft email address.

ScottNWDW

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2008
Orlando, Florida
When I got the iPhone 3G when it came out this past July I signed up for a Mobile Me account on a trial basis. I then had all my msn.com and hotmail.com email forwarded to the MobileMe address I had to create. Have had no problems with it at all.

When my free trial runs out in December, I will probably cancel the msn account and then just stick with the MobileMe address. on a yearly basis it's about $30 less than the msn account.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.