How to get icon previews on video files?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by S18, Aug 13, 2007.

1. S18 macrumors newbie

Hi there,

I'm aware that you can right click on a video and chose get info to view a preview of a video file. But is there a way that you can make all your videos in a folder have icon previews (i.e. a picture of the first frame for example), like you can on a pc. Thanks for any help.

If it helps, most of my videos are .wmv .mpg and .avi format and I use VLC media player.

2. surfer99 macrumors 6502

I know this doesnt help much but I have posed the same question on here before because for some reason some of my videos will show up with the first frame as the icon and others will not. When I asked the question despite all the attempts no one was able to figure it out. Hopefully you will have better luck.

3. rpaloalto macrumors 6502a

rpaloalto

yes

yes its simple. Just find the frame you want to use, convert that to .jpg. Or pict. with quicktime. Then open the photo on your desktop, go to the finder and click copy under the edit function. Now highlight the movie file you want to add the thumb nail to by high light it, just click on it one time (dont open it). Go to finder and, go to file and click get info. Now it will display all the info about your movie file, in the upper left hand you will see the currant standard quicktime thumbnail. Click and highlight this. Now go to your finder click on function, edit and click paste.

4. S18 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks that worked :cool: