How to get internet for a MBA + MBP if no WiFi?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Doju, Dec 2, 2008.

1. Doju macrumors 68000

Heya! I live in Nova Scotia, Canada, and am wondering how to get internet on my MBA and/or MBP when I'm away from home, away from WiFi. Particularly at school, there's no WiFi, so I'm left without internet.

I have an iPhone on Rogers, but there's no 3G in my area. Only EDGE, so tethering would be ridiculously slow, right?

Can I do anything to get faster-than-EDGE speeds? What are my options?

2. jackiecanev2 macrumors 65816

jackiecanev2

Is there ethernet at your school? How about a router? Or if you specifically can't use wifi, how about a bluetooth router?

3. tsice19 macrumors 6502a

tsice19

It seems to be like your only option would be to tether the iPhone on EDGE. The speeds wouldn't be that awful, especially if you were just using google and wikipedia and staying away from Youtube and other data intensive sites.

4. Doju thread starter macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5G77 Safari/525.20)

How long would it take for Google or Wiki to load? I'll check out the Bluetooth and Ethernet options but MBA doesn't have Ethernet so it wouldn't be that elpful anyway.

Thanks guys.