How to get internet sharing working

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by -tWv-, Jul 21, 2009.

1. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

I can't seem to get internet sharing working on my mac after installing a new router. I want to share my airport connection with my ethernet port so I can get on the internet with my Windows 7 test desktop that doesn't have wireless capabilities.

I used to have a DLink DI-614+ router and it just broke on me last week. Now I have the Belkin N+ Router model F5D8235-4.

Before, when I turned on internet sharing with the DLink router, everything went smooth and I could automatically connect via ethernet to the internet, but now when I attempt to connect it says that there is no internet access on the Win7 box. I assume this has something to do with the new router that I installed.

One thing to note is that My Ethernet in Network preferences says that it "has a self assigned IP and may not be able to connect." Is a self assigned IP the problem and is there a way to fix it by modifying the network preferences or is there something I have to do to my router to get this to work.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks

2. -tWv- thread starter macrumors 68000

-tWv-

Anyone able to help or do I just need to go out and buy a wireless adapter?

3. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

It seems as though Belkin started using 192.168.2.1, instead of the typical 192.168.0.1 that the DLink uses. (Double check the settings on the mac in system prefs>network>airport to find the new IP)

So you'll need to change the self assigned ip to 192.168.2.x, the subnet should be the same 255.255.255.0 and the router to 192.168.2.1.

4. -tWv- thread starter macrumors 68000

-tWv-

The self assigned IP address is nothing like my IP address coming from the airport, it starts with a 169 rather than a 192. I think the self assigned IP problem came from when I had to directly connect to my modem in order to have internet access when my old router broke and I didn't have a new one yet. Or does this have no effect on the internet sharing? When I had to directly connect to my modem i switched the settings around so my macbook was the wireless access point. I was sharing ethernet-->airport. Now I am trying to share Airport-->Ethernet.

I have the ethernet to configure automatically so I should configure manually and enter those numbers?

and should my ethernet IP be the same as the airport one?

5. jodelli macrumors 65816

jodelli

Self assigned IPs won't work if you restart the system.

Setting should be using 'DHCP' and the address of the router should end in .0.1
    and the computer address ending in .0.101 (102,103, etc)

6. -tWv- thread starter macrumors 68000

-tWv-

The belkin router does not use 0.1. It uses 2.x so my IP from the airport ends in 2.5. What should the setup look like for IP's ending in these numbers?

I need
    Configure:
    IP:
    Subnet Mask:
    Router:

Also, does anyone know if it could be settings on the router? Like do I need to enable anything for internet sharing to work?

7. -tWv- thread starter macrumors 68000

-tWv-

When my mac and windows 7 box are connected with an ethernet cable, all the settings seem to check out just fine on the win7 computer. The IP address, subnet mask, and all other settings are corrent and it even detects that I'm using a Belkin router. But I still get no internet connection. I think there is something in the settings of either the airport or the ethernet that is causing the problem on the mac. I'm not sure what settings to use for the ethernet and I don't know if there is anything wrong with the airport, because it connects just fine.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to troubleshoot this problem?

8. 1ne macrumors regular

Humm... you would save yourself alot of trouble if you don't use internet sharing. Why not get a long ethernet cable?

Anyhow from the previous poster Belkin is on 192.168.2.1? And self assigned IP = Static IP?

So on your 7 PC give yourself a static IP of 192.168.2.x 255.255.255.0 GW 192.168.2.1 Then on your 7 PC search CMD. Then type ping 192.168.2.1. If you cant ping your gateway(bellkin) try changing your GW on your 7 PC to your MAC IP address.

Also you might need a DNS IP on your 7. If needed try 4.2.2.2.

9. -tWv- thread starter macrumors 68000

-tWv-

I'm looking at getting a wireless adapter right now. Thanks for the input though. I'll give it a try.

10. 1ne macrumors regular

I got it for you and I understand why your Belkin does not work.... I am posting from my Win 7's ethernet through my Macbook pro Airport.

When you use internet sharing and use self-assigned IP. It assigned a IP to your Win 7 PC 192.168.2.x 255.255.255.0 GW 192.168.2.1

Your Belkin is 192.168.2.1 255.255.255.0 right? So what happens is the packets does not know where to go. You are causing a network loop between your PC and Macbook pro.

This is what you need to do...

On your MAC.

192.168.3.1 255.255.255.0
    GW 192.168.2.1 (belkin)
    DNS. use yours if you don't know your own use a public 4.2.2.2

Win 7
    192.168.3.2 255.255.255.0
    GW 192.168.3.1
    DNS 4.2.2.2 (if you don't know your own)

This should work. One thing I noticed the Mac is a bit picky when you change the IP on the fly for internet sharing. The best is setup all your IPs and plug the connection in.

Hope this helps

11. -tWv- thread starter macrumors 68000

-tWv-

Ok, I know how to change the settings on my mac, how do I change the settings on the pc? I can't seem to find anywhere to manually change connection settings.

12. 1ne macrumors regular

On your desktop. Right click on Network>properties. Click on change adpater settings.

Right click on Local area connection>properties. Double click on Internet Protocol Version 4(TCP/IPv4)

13. 1ne macrumors regular

I just thought of something... This might be eaiser for future.

Another way is to change your belkin IP to something else other than 192.168.2.1 255.255.255.0

Then this way you can use seif assigned IP on your MAC and your Win 7 PC.

Self assigned IP... Gotta love Mac's lingo. That mess me up. I thought it mean static.:p

14. -tWv- thread starter macrumors 68000

-tWv-

Ok so I manually configured both to match the IP addresses you gave me and still no luck. I get this little yellow triangle on the win7 computer and it says, "no internet access." Any other suggestions? I don't really want to mess with the router's settings because this is my family's router and if I mess it up everyone else will be pissed.

I'm probably just gonna shell out the 70 bucks to buy the belkin wireless n adapter and be done with it.

15. 1ne macrumors regular

On your Win 7. Start your browser and can you go to http://74.125.155.99

16. -tWv- thread starter macrumors 68000

-tWv-

Nope, no luck. It just says internet explorer cannot display the webpage, like all other pages i try to go to. The problem is that every time I try to go on the internet, the IP settings revert to the default on the windows 7 machine. They go back to "obtain IP automatically" instead of the settings I put there. I don't know how to keep it from changing.

17. 1ne macrumors regular

Default as in dynamic/self assigned IP or 169.x.x.x?

Change your IP on 7 and then go the start and type cmd. A black box will come up. Then type ipconfig /all

What does your ethernet IP say?

Then from that black box see if you can ping your mac ethernet?

ping 192.168.3.1

18. -tWv- thread starter macrumors 68000

-tWv-

Default as in when I go into the properties of the LAN connection it always goes back to "obtain IP automatically."

The info from the command line is:
    Ethernet IP:192.168.2.12(preferred)
    GW: 192.168.2.1
    Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
    DNS Servers: 192.168.2.1

It seems that I cannot get the IP to manually change so is there a way to change the settings on my mac to make this work or am I doing something wrong? I have no idea why it isn't working. And after I changed the IP settings I already tried pinging my macbook and it wouldn't work. It has 100% packet loss and said "request timed out" on each of them.

19. 1ne macrumors regular

Not sure why your Windows 7 is not sticking to static. But your cmd line indicates it is.

That's not going to work. 192.168.2.1

Win 7
    IP = 192.168.3.2 255.255.255.0
    GW 192.168.3.1

Mac
    IP 192.168.3.1 255.255.255.0
    GW 192.168.2.1

Please test with http://74.125.155.99 It's google's home. Trying to take DNS out of play.

20. -tWv- thread starter macrumors 68000

-tWv-

Well if I try to change the win7 settings again they are just going to revert back to a static IP once I try to go on the internet or anything. How do I make it so it stays the same all the time? Should I put the settings on both the general tab and alternate configuration tab on the TCP/IPv4 properties?

21. 1ne macrumors regular

Please see attachment. Posting this from my Win 7 laptop through Airport. I got a meeting in 5mins. I will check in later.

Attached Files:

22. -tWv- thread starter macrumors 68000

-tWv-

Alright yep, thats exactly what I did, and every time after I push ok and try to log on to the internet, it reverts back to "obtain IP address automatically."
    I will try it again but I don't know if it will do anything different.

Edit: As soon as I tried to get on the internet the settings changed back from what I had set them to be before. I don't know how yours is working and mine isn't but I guess there is nothing I can do.

23. 1ne macrumors regular

I am sure you are doing it correctly. Take that Win 7 and throw it. :mad:

Try restarting the Win 7.

I am telling you a easier way is change your Belkin to 192.168.1.1 255.255.255.0 Then you can using all self-assigned IP's on your Mac and Win 7. If you do this make sure all the people in your family get new IP. All you have to do is just unplug and re-plug the cable/wireless it will obtain new IP

Do you have another notebook? Test with another one just to ruled out the Win 7.

24. -tWv- thread starter macrumors 68000

-tWv-

I'll probably just go out and buy a belkin wireless usb adapter sometime this week. This is just too much of a hassle. Oh well, thankyou for all your help 1ne. I'm sure that this would have worked, its just my computer is being stubborn and doesn't like the internet for some reason.

I also need a RAM upgrade for this thing because its running on 512mb of RAM and the minimum is supposed to be 1GB. It's a Sony VAIO desktop that hasn't been used in 4 years.

Again, thankyou for all the help. I really appreciate it.

25. 1ne macrumors regular