How to get into my User Account when locked out

Discussion in 'macOS' started by rjko, Mar 16, 2008.

1. rjko macrumors newbie

I have 2 user accounts on my iMac (Leopard OSX). Both are Admin level. The one I sue all the time is caught in a loop so that every time I try to sign in it say it is logging in, but takes me back to the User sign in. The other User account works, but I cannot get files I need on the User Account that is stuck in the loop. I want to get some files on my desktop that I have in a folder. but since I can't sign in, I can't get them. I tried to copy my Desktop to a second drive, but it does not work. Is there a hack or software that allows me to hack into one user account from anther user account?

Thanks.

I need an answer quickly.

rjko@yahoo.com

2. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

3. iPhil macrumors 68040

iPhil

Pop in the leopard dvd and reboot the system, hold down C.. reset your password .. done ... :rolleyes:

4. Theatrics macrumors member

You'll need to enable the root user account.
    Launch Directory Utility. Authenticate the application. Then go to edit > Enable Root User, and type in a password.

Now that you have your root user set up, sign out of the current account (top left apple menu > Log Out...)
    Once you are at the log in window. Select Other from the list of users. Type in Root for the username. And use the password you made for it in the Directory Utility.

Once you are logged into the root account you should be able to copy files from one of your user accounts to the other. Just click on Finder, goto Macintosh HD and all your accounts should be in the Users directory.

Hope that helps.