How to get into single user mode on new macbook air

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Pie13, Oct 11, 2013.

1. Pie13 macrumors newbie

Hey guys, I really need some help here. The new macbook airs have the RAM a soldered into the motherboard and my single user mode is locked from my school. I understand I shouldn't do this and if you are going to tell me I shouldn't, don't bother. I really do need some programs on here, like Java for my online classes and a note taking app for my math class. I can't go to the tech guy because they don't exist. There is a county one but he is too busy. I want to make myself admin for the right purposes.

Now to inform you guys, I have access to terminal and I can view the /Private/Etc/ folder using that, but I can't gain access to the sudoers document or the master.passwd file. If you guys come up with an answer please let me know

2. pdjudd macrumors 601

You are not going to get much if any advice from anybody on these forums - we tend not to look at hacking and breaking security protocols that are on your computer for a reason. The proper method is to contact the IT staff which you already know.

Do not try and circumvent security policies - it will get you in big trouble. You have a valid reason to run software and that is something that your school will need to work with.

3. Pie13 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for your time and your reply. I understand what you mean and I do see plenty of threads with hacking help on here, just not one to my specific situation. I would love to talk it out with my school but they can not help me at all

4. MeUnix macrumors 6502

Have you tried contacting your IT guy? Or talking to the school? I get the impression you haven't even bothered trying. Instead of trying to get around the security on your MBA (which is there for a reason because it is not your computer, it is the schools), try talking to them and expressing your needs for these apps you need for certain classes.

5. Pie13 thread starter macrumors newbie

I honestly have, the dean, the librarian, the online school teacher. We don't have an IT guy to go to and they have no authority of that. I think it's awesome they gave us these and I know there would be restrictions and I'm glad there are or else we wouldn't have this opportunity, but the point of these is for school and I do need some programs that no one can help me download. This has been my last resort and I'm just wondering if someone can help me pass my online classes by providing me with this information

6. MeUnix macrumors 6502

How to get into single user mode on new macbook air

So you're saying that the school you go to does not give their students access to the required materials to complete the coursework?

If that is true, that sounds pretty serious. I'd recommend having your parents take it up with the school if the school isn't giving you access to the required materials to complete coursework.

- Kyle

7. pdjudd macrumors 601

Someone has to. Someone placed those restrictions on the laptop and that person would have the ability to override that. THe people you cite might not have the authority to do it directly, but if they are giving you resources that you cannot use due to those restrictions, they should be petitioning the administration to allow for these things. It is a major problem that needs to be addressed in the right means. Hacking isn't going to solve anything other than getting you in trouble.

If your teachers or other staff does not take action, you need escalate this up to someone who will. And you may need some help to get people to understand. Hey, if you are unable to truly unable to do your classwork with the tools provided, other people are going to be in the same boat and unless the school deliberately want's people to fail, they will start to listen to people when it goes beyond one person.

8. wackymacky macrumors 68000

wackymacky

I thought about helping you, but have had second thoughts

If it was your computer I would. If you screw your system you'll be in the poo.

Besides how hard is it to google? I saw one solution that I know works within the first dozen hits.

9. Pie13 thread starter macrumors newbie

That's a good idea, I should try that. I have tried 2 out of my 3 deans already and no result, I'll let you know how the result is for this one though. They did give us word, but not anything for my online classes by the way

10. Pie13 thread starter macrumors newbie

I want to talk to that county IT guy but of course but he is too busy trying to give the rest of the county laptops until the beginning of February...

11. Pie13 thread starter macrumors newbie

Seriously? I mean I have googled for three days and I have found multiple solutions, but I need to take the RAM out of my computer, huge problem there.

New Macbook Air = Soldered in RAM

12. wackymacky, Oct 16, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2013

wackymacky macrumors 68000

wackymacky

There are more that one way to skin a cat. By that I mean you can reset PRAM without removing it, though not for the faintharted.

There are kits for sale on eBay though you could always make your own. Once again google's your friend.
    This is how a forensic would do it.

But also there is script that can be run to reset the firmware password when it ad been disabled via port or USB without the need for the jumper cables (this is how apple would do it)

This is not a hacking forum, so you'd be better placed exploring those of which there are a few.

That being said. If it is not your computer you really shouldn't muck around with it. Get your own and you can do what you like. (Modifying someone else's hardware they have loaned you in good faith is not the same as mucking around on the web. There is an element if personal trust there.)