How to get iPad to sync

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by iaddict, Nov 15, 2010.

1. iaddict macrumors 6502

My iPad will not sync to my iTunes. When we first got it my husband synced it with his computer. Will it only sync, manually or otherwise with only one computer?

2. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

What do you mean by "will not sync"? If you are getting a message saying that everything on your device will be deleted and replaced with content from the "new" computer, then that is how it's supposed to behave, an iDevice can only sync with one computer at a time.

3. iaddict thread starter macrumors 6502

No message

I click on Sync in iTunes and nothing that I have checked ever syncs from iTunes to the iPad. I have an iPod and never had any trouble with getting it to sync but for some reason nothing has transfered from my iTunes to the iPad.

4. gnychis macrumors 6502

on the main ipad page in itunes, do you have a check mark under sync audio/video that is checked?

5. iaddict, Nov 16, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2010

iaddict thread starter macrumors 6502

Settings are set to mange manually

Then I have it set to sync all movies and I have several audio books as well that are checked to sync yet nothing ever transfers to the iPad. I have tried checking music and apps just to see if I can get something, anything to go from computer to iPad and not one thing syncs to the iPad.

6. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Okay, what you're describing shouldn't be possible. On my iTunes, if I check "Manually manage," the sync checks go off. If I check the sync music or sync video boxes, the check in "Manually manage" goes off.

You say the iPad was originally synced to your husband's computer. Were you able to sync anything to it from your husband's machine?

It might be a good idea to give Apple support a call. Having a person on the line talking you through the process is a lot faster than going back and forth in an online forum, where you post a question, it takes several hours for someone to respond, then a few more hours before you get back and see the response...

7. iaddict thread starter macrumors 6502

Here's the solution!

Okay, since I know other people are reading this and could possibly run into the same issue, I wanted to post what the solution was for my problem. Every time I went to sync the iPad, across the top of iTunes on my Mac it would show one App that wouldn't be able to sync. I never paid much attention to it since it was something that my husband put on there and I could care less if it was on there. However, once I removed ALL the Apps and chose NOT to sync them on my first sync, everything else I wanted to sync did sync. So, there seems to have been an App that was causing all the rest of the content in iTunes not to sync.

Thanks again to all for your suggestions. Glad I finally just picked up the phone and made the call to Apple support. They are great!