How to get iPhone 3GS to DFU mode?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by buffguy, Oct 22, 2011.

1. buffguy macrumors newbie

I have a jail broken (used redsnow) iPhone 3GS that I tried to reset to the original settings.
    Before doing this I backed up all of my info onto iTunes. I then set up my new iPhone 4gs using iTunes. My new iPhone is completely synced with iTunes. I then went to restore my old iPhone 3GS not using iTunes, and it is now frozen with the apple logo showing.

I took the phone to apple genius yesterday and they were unable to get it in the Dfu mode to restore the phone. They said this is because it was jailbroken. I've tried holding down both keys for minutes at a time and nothing has worked.

Please help me get this phone into Dfu mode so it can be used again.

Thanks

2. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

It sounds like a hardware failure to me. Either your power button or home button does not work and that the reason you can't get it into DFU. Unless you fix this, you can't get the phone into DFU mode.

3. buffguy thread starter macrumors newbie

It Is interesting that you think it is a hardware problem. At the apple store, the technician said the on/off button seemed like it was sticking.

If it isn't a hardware problem is there anyother way of fixing the problem?

4. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

Following is the link for you to get your phone into DFU mode without power or home button working. However, please note that I have never tried this, so I am not sure if it is working or not.

http://www.sinfuliphone.com/showthread.php?t=45145

Good luck.