How to get iPhone 4S Data Plan on SIM Switched Phone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by G4R2, Oct 18, 2011.

1. G4R2 macrumors 6502a

I switched the SIM's between an iPhone 4 and iPhone 4S. However, AT&T still thinks that the iPhone 4S is an iPhone 4- Thus the iPhone 4S unlimited data plan that will enable HSPA+ speeds is not available to this phone line.

Does anyone know how to correct this so that the correct plans appear for the switched phonelines?

Thanks in advance.

2. vitog123 macrumors 6502

3. Sketchr macrumors 6502a

You'll need to call to have them manually switch the plans. However, some of us are not convinced you will receive higher speeds once the plans reflect the correct phone. The jury is still out...

4. flashflooder macrumors regular

I'm definitely not the final authority on this, but I don't think there is any difference between the 2 unlimited plans (other than name).

I switched mine over and noticed no change whatsoever. I'm in an HSPA+ area.

But to answer your question, it's as simple as calling them and giving the new IMEI number.

5. G4R2 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the replies and information.

I wonder if there's a way to transfer this information online the same way that it was possible to transfer the iPad unlimited data plan to the iPad 2.

A follow up question in case anyone knows and has experience with this-

Does this reset the upgrade plan attached to the old SIM or does AT&T charge you for the upgrade to the iPhone 4S?

6. vitog123, Oct 18, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2011

vitog123 macrumors 6502

7. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

they're different plans?

crap. Anyone out there able to confirm if it really makes a difference or not? I did a sim swap with my moms line and I am still on the iPhone data plan

8. vitog123 macrumors 6502

id like to add that my data speeds SUCK and im a great area for hspa+ according to the coverage map. (south orange county, ca)

9. G4R2 thread starter macrumors 6502a

That's interesting. The upgrade on one of my iPhone 4 lines is set to start on 11/25/11. I wonder if the option to switch to HSPA+ will appear then?

10. stisdal macrumors 6502

stisdal

I tried to do this tonight online, but it would not let me select the "4s" unlimited option. (I had used other phones upgrades and switched sims)

I called AT&T and they fixed it right away. No questions.

I did a speed test (3g) before the switch and after, and the "4s" plan sent my data upload speeds from 1.02Mbps to 8.40Mbps, download was 0.94Mbps before and 1.66Mbps after... :D

Well worth the few minutes spent on the phone to get this done!!!!

11. vitog123 macrumors 6502

can you tell me what you asked for on the phone exactly? some of the CSR's are clueless.

12. flashflooder macrumors regular

tell them you want to update your phone in their database, give them the IMEI number of your new phone, tell them you'd like to switch to the new unlimited for 4S plan. Shouldn't take more than 3 minutes.

13. vitog123 macrumors 6502

ughhh...

i called and had mine IMEI # switched over and the 4s plan activated.. no change so far and its been a few hours.

----------

thanks

14. vitog123 macrumors 6502

i just switched my sim card and did another activation..
    no change.
    im going to restore and if that doesnt work im going to bring it to apple and exchange for a new one.

15. schizbomb macrumors 6502

I did a few baseline tests for my 4S before having it switched.

Went from 2-3 Mbps down and ~1 down at my house, and 4-5Mbps down and 1 up at the university.

Called and had it changed, a day later at home I am getting 2-5Mbps now, and 1 up, and at the university I got 4-8Mbps and 1 up.

So I guess either conditions were more favorable for speed or the switching the plan helped the phone tap into upper end speeds.

16. FelixDerKater macrumors 68000

FelixDerKater

Make sure you call. Don't try to do it on the website. Like many others, I used the upgrade eligibility from a different line. As AT&T's website shows the new iPhone 4S on my line, I tried to update to the 4S Unlimited data plan. Unfortunately, that didn't work. Instead of processing the update, it disabled my data plan completely.

When I called in, they told me their system reflected that I had been on an iPhone pay-per-use data plan since late 2007. It took a couple transfers of the call and a supervisor to get the unlimited data plan restored. They kept denying the fact that I had ever had it, but the supervisor finally reviewed last month's bill to discover that it was actually there.

Before the phone call, I was getting download speeds of 0.5Mbps and upload speeds of 0.2Mbps.

After the call, in the same position, and having the same number of signal strength bars, I am getting 2.60Mbps download and 1.18Mbps upload speeds.

It may just be the change in the weather or usage conditions in the area, but it seems to be better for the moment.

17. G4R2 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Does anyone know if switching the IMEI info with AT&T and changing the data plan to 4S unlimited result in a reset of the upgrade eligibility for that phone line to another 2 years?

18. pbateman macrumors 6502

What about if you bought an unlocked-off-contract phone will calling change anything as far as your contract? it shouldn't right since the phone was purchased at full price..

19. benguild macrumors 6502a

No, it won't change anything. I did this and my phone is still unlocked. I even activated my upgrade 4S after selling it on eBay and my other phone is still unlocked.