How to get iPhotos from one user account to another

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Graygirl, Dec 5, 2009.

1. Graygirl macrumors newbie

I just set up a user account for my husband on my 13 in white macbook running tiger 10.4.11. I would like for him to have most of the photos that I have in my iPhoto app in his own iPhoto application. How would I do that?

2. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

Open iPhoto in both accounts.

Make sure sharing is turned on in Preferences.

Click on your shared library in the source pane on the left in your husband's iPhoto library.

Drag and drop.

3. Graygirl thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you, but I'm afraid I don't understand. When I open iPhoto in his user account, the only thing in the source pane on the left is:
    Library
    Last Roll
    Last 12 months
    Trash

Do I open iPhoto in my account, then reboot to his account and turn iPhoto on there?

How do I get to the place to turn sharing on....in systems preferences? I have Personal File Sharing ticked and it says "Personal File Sharing On"

From where would I drag and drop? When his account is open, my account is not open right? So I'm not understand the drag and drop instruction.
    Sorry to be so dense, but this ol' graygirl is not real proficient in computers. Can you write as if you're talking to a 6 yr old? Thanks.

4. madog macrumors 65816

madog

To retain all of the information, including albums and whatnot, is to go into the "Pictures" folder on the original computer, and copy the "iPhoto Library" folder into the Pictures folder of the other computer or user.

This will replace all of the photos in the other computer, as you are replacing the entire library, but as long as the version of iPhoto isn't older on the new computer it will work.

Otherwise, the post above is talking about going to preferences of iPhoto, and enabling Sharing. Once you do, another computer with iPhoto open on the same network will be able to see the photos from that one.

5. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

Sorry to leave out a few steps earlier!

You can actually log in to multiple accounts at the same time using a feature called "Fast User Switching". You can enable it in the Accounts panel in System Preferences. After it is enabled, you should see a menu in the top right corner of the menu bar that will allow you to switch to a different user account without logging out of your account.

After it is enabled, you should follow the following steps.

1. Open iPhoto in your account.
    2. Check the Sharing tab in iPhoto preferences to make sure that sharing is turned on.
    3. Use the Fast User Switching menu to switch to your husband's account.
    4. Open iPhoto in his account.
    5. Make sure sharing is turned on in his iPhoto preferences.

At this point, your library should show up in the source pane on the left. Click on it. You should see your photos and be able to drag and drop them to his library at the top of the source pane.

I hope that is a little more clear!

6. Graygirl thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you so much! It worked like a charm!

7. JonnyBravo macrumors regular

Great thread!

I didn't realize you could do that!

Can you share between two macs?

8. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

As long as they are on the same network.