Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DarwinOSX

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2009
Whatever you do don't buy Sonos anything. Sound quality is poor, they are grossly overpriced, and very limited. Airplay will easily meet all your needs cheaply and you will have your choice of speakers.
I had a $3000 Sonos setup that was gimped by having one optical input only, screwed up listening to multiple sources like Spotify, and poor sound quality. Returned all of it.
Get an Airport Express and plug your speakers into it. Set the airport express up as an airplay device only. Lots of instructions for this out there.
Get an app like Airfoil to play out to multiple sources at once. I play to my Airplay equipped Yamaha receiver, my Mac, and speakers with an Airport in my bedroom all at the same time.
You can also pretty much Airplay from any source and not be gimped like Sonos does.

DarwinOSX

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2009
Beat me to, but it seems the OP found a solution that works for him/her!

I absolutely love my Sonos setup. Wish they would do an outdoor speaker and I would be one happy camper!

Yes the price can be considered steep, but man it is has been rock solid and the sound is excellent. I have five speakers throughout the house and can control them from anyone of my devices including the host PC (if I remote in and use the Sonos application).

If you don't mind me asking, what speakers are you using for the outside?

You can get cheap but good powered speakers like the Daytonas or Micca's and use them. Costco has Yamaha outdoor speakers for sale for $80 right now. Combine that with an Airport express and you are one. The Airplay speakers are way overpriced and don't sound nearly as good.

Reactions: rhett7660

darthbane2k

macrumors 68000
Oct 22, 2009
No. It comes with a remote that controls the power, as well as the volume and input source. There is also a play/pause and forward/back buttons, but I'm not sure what they control because I didn't read the manual. ;)
Not true. I have this speaker and there is an always on sleep mode that wakes the device over the network. Hold the input button three seconds or so until the LEDs flash four times. This indicates that standby mode is on. Heck you don't need to switch the thing off after finished playing music as it automatically goes into sleep mode

DogHouseDub

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2007
SF
FYI - a first gen AppleTV is ~ $30 on eBay and receives Airplay audio as well as the newer Apple offerings.

ixxx69

macrumors 65816
Jul 31, 2009
United States
Whatever you do don't buy Sonos anything. Sound quality is poor, they are grossly overpriced, and very limited. Airplay will easily meet all your needs cheaply and you will have your choice of speakers.
I had a $3000 Sonos setup that was gimped by having one optical input only, screwed up listening to multiple sources like Spotify, and poor sound quality. Returned all of it.
Get an Airport Express and plug your speakers into it. Set the airport express up as an airplay device only. Lots of instructions for this out there.
Get an app like Airfoil to play out to multiple sources at once. I play to my Airplay equipped Yamaha receiver, my Mac, and speakers with an Airport in my bedroom all at the same time.
You can also pretty much Airplay from any source and not be gimped like Sonos does.
You can get cheap but good powered speakers like the Daytonas or Micca's and use them. Costco has Yamaha outdoor speakers for sale for $80 right now. Combine that with an Airport express and you are one. The Airplay speakers are way overpriced and don't sound nearly as good.
You're obviously a very specific type of user with specific expectations... while you're certainly entitled to share your opinions on it, maybe you should reconsider whether you should dispense such dismissive advice based on your specific needs.

Sonos may not work for you, but it works very well for a LOT of people - it's overwhelmingly considered the most user-friendly "just works" whole-house audio system out there. Meanwhile, products like Airfoil (which I own and use weekly) are finicky work-around kludges for what Apple fails to provide - they are not for everyone.

Reactions: jdag

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
Not for everyone applies to everything. Airplay and Airfoil work very well for me. I have a Denon receiver with airplay, a couple of Airport Expresses, an ATV and a Klipsch G17 that suit our needs.

Each needs to do his/her own due diligence to find the solutions that is a best fit.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.