How to get latest possible apple software on 1st Gen jailbroken Iphone

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Chezy, May 12, 2010.

1. Chezy macrumors newbie

Hi guys i need some help with my 8gb 1st gen jailbroken & unlocked iphone running on 1.1.2
    My ex bought me the phone already jailbroken & unlocked, i don't know what software was used to do it.
    All I know is that I have Installer,Customize,Cydia,SSH & SSH edge which all have something to do with jailbreak.
    So my dilemma is that i have a jailbroken & unlocked iphone which i am not getting the benefit from as i am on 1.1.2 which is not supported.
    What is the best firmware for me to upgrade to and how, without losing jailbreak & unlock.
    I have read many forums in seek of answers so i have learnt a little along the way, although i do not pretend to be an expert. I am not a "dumb blonde" but would appreciate it if you could explain in "plain english"
    Thank you for any help, Chezy.

2. RNVarma macrumors regular

Greetings:

The iPhone 2G that you have is both permanently unlockable and jailbreakable.

You can update to 3.1.3 and use RedSn0w to unlock/jailbreak your device if you wish. Most likely that will be the final firmware the 2G takes, as iPhone OS 4.0 will not natively work on it.

I would suggest starting out fresh (i.e. restoring to 3.1.3) instead of doing an upgrade to 3.1.3. The only downside is you would have to manually redo your settings within your iPhone.

http://wikee.iphwn.org/howto:rs9

Cheers,

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

4. Chezy thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks guys for your responses and time, much appreciated.

Will i lose all my contacts, photos etc if i restore to 3.1.3? and will it wipe off all my apps (not to bothered about) as i will be able to get new ones.

Also with restore does it wipe clean my old jailbreak and unlock? as i don't want it to conflict with new jailbreak.

In step 7 of the tutorial Applejuiced linked for pc what do i need to tick? as i already have cydia or do i need the new version. My phone is already unlocked do i tick that? and i'm not sure what pwned is?

Sorry 1 more question, will i still need installer,cutomize & ssh? and do i need to take my sim card out when i do it? (ok that was 2) i just need to make sure.

Can't see smiley with kisses so you will have to make do with these....xx

Come on guys, where are the girlie smileys?

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You can sync back your contacts and appstore apps after thru itunes. Along with music etc...
    Yes, the restore will wipe the phone clean from previous JB and unlocks.
    Check the boxes with install cydia and unlock only.
    Installer is not available any more. Stick with cydia to install JB apps and to customize and install openSSH. You can leave your sim card in it doesnt make a difference.

6. Chezy thread starter macrumors newbie

OK, I managed to pluck up the courage to do it...and i have to say i'm quite pleased with myself although there were a few little heart stopping moments.

All I want to say is A Big Thank You to both Applejuiced & RNVarma for your time and knowledge and understanding of my situation and for pointing me in the right direction, it really did re-assure me.

Can i ask another question: How do you get free apps through cydia?
    I have read numerous forums and they all have different ways, some very long winded and some that don't make sense.
    I want to make sure it's the right way for 3.1.3.

Thanks for any help.

Oh, how can i easily find threads i have posted?