how to get leopard on a G4 733Mhz

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by paronga, Jan 2, 2012.

1. paronga macrumors member

paronga

So yeah.
    How can i install leopard on my old PPC G4 733Mhz?
    I've got a few intel macs around that i can use with the G$ in target disk mode.

the power mac has tiger on it right now, but i really want leopard to get the latest itunes and things on it.

any tips?
    my understanding is that it's technically unsupported, but there is a way around it.

:)

2. Goftrey macrumors 68000

Goftrey

http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/26562/leopardassist

It's a great little tool that ''changes'' the clock speed of your device to 933mhz so it tricks the Installer into thinking it meets the system requirements, my 800mhz TiBook needed it to run Leopard, and it runs beautifully.

Also make sure you have at least 512mb RAM.

Good luck!

3. skinniezinho macrumors 6502a

The tool that Goftrey told you is cool, but it didn't worked for me.
    There are other ways, check on the faq on my signature.

4. lgwells1 macrumors regular

lgwells1

I used the Leopard install tool with great success on my DigitalAudio G4 dual 533MHz. It was really easy, you can change the clock speed yourself but I messed up, and this application is easier, and faster.

Leopard ran ok at best. I had 768 of memory, would have helped if I had at least 1GB.

5. rgwoehr macrumors member

I used LeopardAssist on my 733MHz Quicksilver, that worked fine but for some reason it wouldn't boot from my DVD. I had to restore the DVD on to a spare hard drive and install from that. Leopard was really slow but it might be OK if it's not your main computer. Processor usage was pretty high all the time.

6. SirYossi macrumors regular

Leopard on imac G4 700mhz

I am still running OS X.5.8 on an old imac G4 700mhz and it runs just fine actually it runs better on OS X.5 than any other OS what was on it before.
    I installed with a modified version of OS X.5 install DVD and you can also install by cloning it over from external drive then running the OS updater.
    I runs faster and more stable with X.5 then it did with X.4 and besides more recent apps like itunes and web apps run better that are no longer supported under X.4.

7. o2sys macrumors member

I don't understand when people say it runs "fine" or "better", I'm sure its different for everyone but on my G4 1.25Ghz, 2 GB Ram plus an SSD HD Leopard ran laggy, switched back to 10.4 and runs like it should.