how to get leopard on a G4 733Mhz

paronga

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 9, 2011
Australia, Melbourne
So yeah.
How can i install leopard on my old PPC G4 733Mhz?
I've got a few intel macs around that i can use with the G$ in target disk mode.

the power mac has tiger on it right now, but i really want leopard to get the latest itunes and things on it.

any tips?
my understanding is that it's technically unsupported, but there is a way around it.

:)

skinniezinho

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2009
Portugal
The tool that Goftrey told you is cool, but it didn't worked for me.
There are other ways, check on the faq on my signature.

lgwells1

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2011
COMO
I used the Leopard install tool with great success on my DigitalAudio G4 dual 533MHz. It was really easy, you can change the clock speed yourself but I messed up, and this application is easier, and faster.

Leopard ran ok at best. I had 768 of memory, would have helped if I had at least 1GB.

rgwoehr

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2010
I used LeopardAssist on my 733MHz Quicksilver, that worked fine but for some reason it wouldn't boot from my DVD. I had to restore the DVD on to a spare hard drive and install from that. Leopard was really slow but it might be OK if it's not your main computer. Processor usage was pretty high all the time.

SirYossi

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2012
Penfield
Leopard on imac G4 700mhz

I am still running OS X.5.8 on an old imac G4 700mhz and it runs just fine actually it runs better on OS X.5 than any other OS what was on it before.
I installed with a modified version of OS X.5 install DVD and you can also install by cloning it over from external drive then running the OS updater.
I runs faster and more stable with X.5 then it did with X.4 and besides more recent apps like itunes and web apps run better that are no longer supported under X.4.

o2sys

macrumors member
Dec 2, 2011
NYC
I am still running OS X.5.8 on an old imac G4 700mhz and it runs just fine actually it runs better on OS X.5 than any other OS what was on it before.
I installed with a modified version of OS X.5 install DVD and you can also install by cloning it over from external drive then running the OS updater.
I runs faster and more stable with X.5 then it did with X.4 and besides more recent apps like itunes and web apps run better that are no longer supported under X.4.
I don't understand when people say it runs "fine" or "better", I'm sure its different for everyone but on my G4 1.25Ghz, 2 GB Ram plus an SSD HD Leopard ran laggy, switched back to 10.4 and runs like it should.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.