How to get .Mac now?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Locker, Jul 1, 2008.

1. Locker macrumors 6502

Hello,

I was considering trying to purchase .mac now. The reason being, this would give me a @mac.com email address (hopefully) and it'd still be upgraded to MobileMe in a couple of weeks time (ready for my iPhone). Obviously if you visit mac.com now it re-directes to info on the new MobileMe, and the Apple store only allows pre-ordering of MobileMe - so is there anyway I can actually get a .mac subscription right now?

Any help would be great :)

2. mreg376 macrumors 6502a

Did you try ebay?

3. Garemz macrumors regular

4. Dalriada macrumors 6502

5. Locker thread starter macrumors 6502

6. Locker thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks, but I live in the UK unfortunately... a few more questions.

1) If I pre-order MobileMe online, will I be able to end my trial and migrate into having full MobileMe functionality as soon as it arrives?
    2) How will the switch over occur? Will I wake up one day and see the preferences icon change from ".Mac" to "MobileMe".
    3) Is there anywhere in the UK I can get a cheap code to active .Mac properly... and then I guess I'll just be upgraded to MobileMe...?

Any more help would be great :)

7. stockcerts macrumors 65816

I just bought mine from Amazon this morning. My existing account expires in about 30 days.

8. bytefire macrumors newbie

Try your local Toys R Us, I got 2 subscription packs for £4.99 each from mine. It was likely to have been a leftover from their Mac clearout last year. This wasn't clearly marked though it was just in a plain black DVD case with a sticker saying Mac Software £4.99 on it. It was only when I looked closer I noticed it said dotmac at the bottom.

9. hookem12387 macrumors 6502

We can still buy .mac/mobileme for the discount with a new computer, yes? Or are they not selling it at all right now?

10. cyclingplatypus macrumors 6502a

cyclingplatypus

Check out your local Best Buy or (if you have one) a mom & pop Mac store, our local one is MacEdge.

11. Locker thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok, so I'm running my trial now. If I click "Join Now" on the .Mac pages, it lets me proceed to enter my card details to upgrade my account... it doesn't show how much it is though? How much is it for UK users? Is it more than MobileMe is going to cost?

12. bytefire macrumors newbie

In the UK its going to be cheaper as moble me. £69 for .Mac down to £59 for Mobile Me.