How to get MBP plate screws out?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by thadoggfather, May 26, 2010.

1. thadoggfather macrumors 604

thadoggfather

I know it's a philips oo, and I have two of them -- a smaller one from an eyeglass kit, and one from a screwdriver kit I bought from radio shack. I've already caused some scratches from slipping (and gripping the screw driver with plyers for grip), and there are four screws left of the ten to do (one on the side, and three on the bottom near the trackpad area).

Been going at this for about an hour. Why did they make the bottom plate impossible to remove? Any tips before I mark up my macbook pro anymore?
    Luckily they're on the underside so I don't care as much, but I don't want to keep scratching this thing up.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Turn slowly with lots of pressure. Removing the bottom case is only difficult because the screwholes are tapped such that they're at a slight angle.

3. silencer88 macrumors member

The screws taper inwards towards the center of the machine. If you're still having trouble, your screw drivers are wrong or messed up. It takes me about a minute to remove all of those screws.

4. rotobadger macrumors 65816

rotobadger

Agreed with the above posts. I changed out my HD a couple of days ago on a 2010 17 inch and had no problems. You MUST make sure you have the correct size screwdriver or you will strip those screws. You don't want that to happen. An eyeglass screwdriver did not work for me because I couldn't get enough torque out of it because it is so thin.

If need be, pay the extra 10 bucks and get the right screwdriver from Radio Shack.

5. cys920622 macrumors member

eyeglass screwedrivers worked fine for me, just took some effort. make sure you place all the screws back when you're closing it then screw them in most of the way each, then go around again and completely screw them in. by the time you're done once around you'll find you have more room on each screw so do that again. i'd hate to have my mbp bottom wiggle around.

6. cloroxbleach4 macrumors 6502a

cloroxbleach4

Make sure the screws angle in a bit. They don't go straight up and down.

7. vant macrumors 65816

It's probably the screwdriver you are using. I bought some random high quality ones at the hardware store. Works effortlessly.