How to get Microsoft Outlook?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by barrett14, Oct 11, 2013.

1. barrett14 macrumors regular

I purchased the Microsoft Office Suite a few months ago but it did not include Outlook. For whatever reason - the copy of the suite that I bought online worked for both my desktop and laptop, even though they advertise that the CD Key only works for ONE mac only.

I am trying to figure out how I can get a copy of Outlook without having to re-buy the entire suite over again... I MIGHT be willing to do this but I am nervous I won't be able to install it on both of my machines like I have done previously.

Does anyone have any advice for me as to how I can acquire Microsoft Outlook for both of my machines?

Thanks in advance!

p.s. - the reason that I am switching is because people keep telling me that the e-mails I send don't have any attachments... this only happens with Mail!!!

2. Dweez macrumors 65816

Dweez

Have you opened up a conversation with Microsoft? My Office 2011 distro contained Outlook.

3. barrett14 thread starter macrumors regular

They said I had to buy the Mac office business for $250

4. shwc macrumors regular

When using apple's Mail program, do you have the "send windows friendly attachment" option checked?

In the edit menu > attachments > always send windows-friendly attachments

5. tomnavratil macrumors 6502a

tomnavratil

Outlook is included in the Business version, not home. There is no way to add it afterwards.

6. Dweez macrumors 65816

Dweez

Ouch! I bought Office a couple of years ago and I don't think it was anywhere near $250. For some reason $99 comes to mine, but that may be my old age playing tricks on me. :)

It's available from Microsoft for $219.

And Amazon has it for $170 via electronic download.

If it were me I'd figure out why Mail.app isn't including attachments and not spend the $$ on Microsoft product.

7. barrett14 thread starter macrumors regular

is www.mskeyoffer.com legit? They are offering the CD key for the office business 2011 for mac for $30... The price is so low I am skeptical. I googled their name and didn't see any blatant scam warnings.

www.mskeyoffer.com

8. chabig macrumors 68040

Of course it's not legit. Why do you even have to ask?

9. Fishrrman macrumors G4

You might try Thunderbird for email, if Mail.app isn't working for you.

Another alternative: GyazMail -- or even (the now discontinued, but still working) Sparrow.

10. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Within Mail, select File/Attachments>Send Windows Friendly Attachments.

11. Bending Pixels macrumors 65816

FWIW, Outlook for Mac is borked on Lion and Mountain Lion. Specifically, you can 't import mail from Lion/Mountain Lion Mail into Outlook. Microsoft has refused to fix the problem.

12. helix142 macrumors newbie

Mail OK for Me

I use Apple Mail with an exchange server, and have not had issues with attachments. Have been using for a couple years now with a 4 gig mailbox with minimal issues. I actually have outlook installed but never use it as I prefer the apple mail. Like others have said you might want to just see why attachments aren't working

13. dianeoforegon macrumors 6502a

dianeoforegon

I'm not sure this option is still available, but you used to be able add Outlook to H&S version for $99.

• Open Word (or Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook), and then on the Word menu, click Purchase Options.
    • On the Microsoft Office Setup Assistant screen, click Purchase an upgrade product key online.
    • Purchase an upgrade product key by following the instructions online. You will need to be connected to the internet to purchase.

How to Upgrade Office for Mac Home and Student 2011 to Microsoft Office for Mac Home and Business 2011

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2393959

Considering that Outlook 2011 is now 3 years old, you might want to use the O365 subscription model.

Outlook 2011 is not a stable product. If you have POP accounts, stick with Mail.

Check out Attachment Tamer. http://lokiware.info/Attachment-Tamer

14. CoMoMacUser macrumors 6502a

Some email hosts provide Outlook for free. That's how I got it. You'd need to calculate whether it's cheaper to sign up for one of those plans than to buy the business version of Office.

15. dmrowley macrumors 6502

dmrowley

If you work for a large corporation or are a university student, you can normally get Office very cheaply. I work for a 50,000+ employee company, so we have a lot of Windows machines and Office licenses, and we get the benefit of the Microsoft Home Use Program, and I got the full Office 2011 for Mac for $22

All_Mailboxes__Found_247_matches_for_search_.jpg

May be worth checking out. It comes with Outlook, but I don't use it.

16. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Doesn't have to be large company. We have 1,000 employees and access to HUP.

17. NMF macrumors 6502a

NMF

Before shelling out the extra money for a buggy Mac release of Outlook, give Postbox a try. I've been using it for about a year now and really like it a lot. It's only $9.95 and there's a 30-day free trial.

http://www.postbox-inc.com

18. barrett14 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the recommendations guys.

As far as attachments from Mail - they seem to work some of the time but not others. I couldn't get Office Depot to receive these files - so I had to send them from the web gmail client to get it to work... I don't know if its a problem on their end or what.

I may try Postbox and see how I like it.

Thanks guys

19. dianeoforegon macrumors 6502a

dianeoforegon

20. OrnerSteve macrumors newbie

I bought office 2013 key from this web store and they delivered it quickly. I needed to exchange them though because they were too small. Everything went fine. Very nice service, I recommend!

21. pdjudd macrumors 601

You might have a problem with Office 2013 on the Mac - that version is Windows only.