how to get missing artwork for iTunes...?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by fab5freddy, Sep 22, 2007.

1. fab5freddy macrumors 65816

fab5freddy

Just wanted to know how you can
    get missing artwork for your iTunes Library ?

cheers, FF

2. bluefiberoptics macrumors regular

bluefiberoptics

Well I know there is an option in iTunes from the menu to automatically search and get the artwork if it is recognized. If not, you need to edit songs and drag the artwork onto the area where it says artwork.

3. thegrifman macrumors regular

I use a Dashboard widget called Amazon Art. You just select a song in iTunes then go to that widget and type in a search term and it searches Amazon.com for the artwork. Find what you like and set it.

4. jvencius macrumors regular

That would have saved me A LOT of time, since some of my CD's are a wee bit obscure and iTunes didn't recognize them/find the artwork. Actually, for three of my CD's, I had to take a picture of the cover and add it that way since I couldn't find the cover art anywhere online.

5. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

If iTunes music store doesn't have the album art work (ie the Get Album Artwork in iTunes doesn't work), I use these sites manually:

- wikipedia (which has album art for most mainstream albums, and many more spacial stuff)
    - discdogs (which is excellent for some more obscure albums, especially old vinyl single covers)
    - amazon.com, amazon.co.uk or amazon.de (starting to get desperate, maybe, and you may need to crop the art if you want 300x300 and not the 240x240 "preview")
    - google images (well this is the last resort, it often takes some filtering, but if the album art is out there, you will find it)

...more or less in that order...

6. 2fives macrumors regular

I thought to get the artwork you need to have an account which needs a credit card number to set up. I never plan to buy any music off itunes but would still like the album art.

I seem to remember this is what I had to do when I tried.

7. amigoventuroso macrumors newbie

Hi, are there any new effective ways for adding album covers in iTunes for the songs missing such?

I myself have an account with iTunes and usually import artwork through iTunes via the two methods described by bluefiberoptics above.

however, the automatic import of album covers in iTunes is sucky and does not fetch all the images. The manual way is equally ineffective in that it is very time-consuming to find each of your missing artwork and apply it to each of your songs missing such.

Btw, I found this thread while searching for a program or script which will allow me to bring all of my missing iTunes artwork "magically" and without miss-matches.

Hope there someone could be of help. thanks!

8. Jolly Jimmy macrumors 65816

Jolly Jimmy

Manually is the only to be sure everything is correct. There is no magical software that's 100% reliable. Apps like this that fetch artwork and tags always get some things wrong, so you have to check everything manually anyway which is practically just as time consuming.

9. MaxBeagleton macrumors member

Another site

Albumart.org is another site to find cd/dvd/bluray covers. Once you find your art, click on the hourglass to get a higher res graphic. These display better on your :apple:TV.

10. bloutrein macrumors regular

bloutrein

amigo, this question is almost as old as the question about the egg and the chicken - :D

On a more serious note, it would be hard to find a fully reliable product for keeping your library in form and colorfully loaded with artwork. There is a similar thread here which you might find useful:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=13351435

Keep exploring, I would say not to stick to one program for too long, and to always save place for new, better alternatives.

Also, rely on your discriminatory skills which will always be better than a computer program for finding the right artwork (that, of course, will depend on the time and desire you are able to dedicate to your music library).