How to get more freelance customers?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by dontwalkhand, Jul 19, 2009.

1. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

Me and a buddy do freelance Mac/PC computer repair around Phoenix. I have used Craigslist and picked up on a good 4 or 5 clients from there, and most of them call us back to fix problems later on.

Now, how to I get more noticed? I have tried everything imaginable, but nothing seems to be working. I have put ads up all around our local community college (with permission), grocery stores (with permission), community mailboxes, schools (with permission), traffic lights, etc...these ads have yet to have an effect...the craigslist so far has been the best bet for obtaining clients.

I do not make the kind of money to be able to afford television, radio, or newspaper ads...nor do I have the skills to make a decently working website, that doesn't look like it was made by a 2 year old with crayons drawing on the wall.

Now here is the problem with Craigslist however, there are 20 ads just like mine, and I have undercutted them all in price, they make a return and undercut us more.

I also have to compete with Geek **** and other large corporate businesses as well.

Any advice?

2. Krafty macrumors 601

Krafty

3. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

Word of Mouth advertising is invaluable to people in your position. Ask your clients to mention you to their friends, maybe even offer them a referral bonus or something (although if you're good, you shouldn't have to even do that).

I would try, as much as possible, not to compromise on price too much. Focus on making your Craigslist ads the best, respond to emails/calls the quickest, and generally be the best. All of your competition have the same resources you do, so you need to focus on getting the customers when they do call, and then on retaining them. It sounds like you have the second part cornered, so now you just need to be the best when it comes to customer service.

4. wvuwhat macrumors 65816

wvuwhat

You want to increase your visibility. Craigslist, Facebook, Twitter, Word of Mouth, etc. etc. Keep doing good work and you'll be fine in a few months.

5. ikermalli macrumors 6502a

Spread it through family, it'll make them feel bad and they will give you business, then if they like how you operate they will return, if they don't, then their computers will be "working perfectly" :p

6. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

7. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Do you have a business name? We've more than doubled our profit from our first year in the first 3 months of this one. Sometimes it just takes time to get your name around.

8. Boneoh macrumors 6502

Boneoh

Yes! You need to develop a brand of your own. A business name is the first step. Be professional, get some business cards printed. Don't compete solely based on price. As you can see, it becomes a race to the bottom. You don't want to be either the cheapest or most expensive. Create a brochure in Word with a bit of clip art, list of services, maybe a recommendation from an existing client. Put on a jacket and tie and visit some of the smaller businesses in your area, hand them a brochure and a business card. A web site is a must for someone in your business. You don't need much, but at least a page or two with a list of services, recommendations, email address, and phone number.

Good luck!