How to get my $20 back (because I bought a new old iPod)

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by magikovenmit, Mar 4, 2008.

1. magikovenmit macrumors newbie

Today I bought a new, unopened iPod Touch at my local Sam's Club. The problem is, it was manufactured back in 2007 and still had the 1.1.2 firmware on it and none of the new apps. If I paid the $20 for the new apps, would Apple give me back my money?

2. aethelbert macrumors 601

What price did you pay for it? Unless Sams Club is an exception (which I'm almost positive that it's not), all of these models were discounted because they didn't have the apps. You won't get money back for getting them because that's why there was a discount.

3. magikovenmit thread starter macrumors newbie

The iPod was about $366 (16 gigs), but that is because Sam's Club sells their merchandise cheaper because they buy in bulk. I don't think that older iPods were discounted, I though I read on Engadget that you had to contact Apple to get your $20 back. I was just trying to see if this was true or not.

4. rioting macrumors member

Those models should have been $20 USD less then the ones out right now to cover the cost of the Software Updates. I doubt it matters that Sam's buys them in bulks, since BestBuy, Walmart, etc also buy in bulk and sell it for te same price.

And if you already bought the apps, syncing your iPod should put them right back?

If it doesn't, and you want anoter option, you can always e-mail iTunes. They are usually kind enough to allow on more free download if your original was erased.

5. Jack Flash macrumors 65816

Sam's doesn't sell them $34 cheaper because they buy in bulk. The $20 update discount was included in that price.

6. iTeen macrumors 65816

iTeen

hey i am about to buy a ipod touch in the coming month or so.
    how do i tell what packaging has the software update?
    :confused:

7. aristobrat macrumors G4

At my Sams Club, the iPods are usually only $10-$15 cheaper (max).

I agree with Jack Flash -- the $34 discount you got on the model you bought includes an extra $20 to offset you having to buy the apps.

8. aristobrat macrumors G4

IIRC, the model numbers that end in /B have the updated software. /A don't.

9. cowboy fan macrumors newbie

I'm looking at getting a 16gb touch at Sam's club soon. I checked the price at the one by my house and it was 20$ more than what you paid for it and it had the software upgrades, they didn't sell one W/O the upgrade.

10. spank2223 macrumors member

vanns.com is selling the old version 16gig for 334$ no tax and free shipping get it and just buy the update. Its well worth it.