How to get non-blurry cuves in photoshop?

Discussion in 'Design and Graphics' started by zerocustom1989, Jul 17, 2010.

1. zerocustom1989 macrumors regular

Im trying to export elements for an iPhone app, but PS is giving me blurry edges. Is there a way to prevent this?

EX:
    [​IMG]

Edges are straight, the basic shape is a "shape", so there's no raster element at play here.

Any advice?

2. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Make the basic shape in Bitmap format. (Image > Mode > Bitmap)

Bitmap is black and white pixels only.

It will not smooth (anti-alias) your curves.

Once you've created your basic shape you can change your format to RGB and overlay any color/grayscale on top of your base black and white shape.

3. zerocustom1989 thread starter macrumors regular

Ah Ok, that's interesting. I had another problem sneak up on me aswell that was the main cause of my cruddy corners, but Is starting in bitmap a good practice?

4. tempusfugit macrumors 65816

5. Jim Campbell macrumors 6502a

Jim Campbell

Fixed that for you. :)

Cheers!

Jim

6. IgnatiusTheKing macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

I agree with Jim. Use Illustrator.

If, however, you insist on using Photoshop, drawing your box with the rounded rectangle tool should result in a scalable vector shape (unless you are using a really old version of PS).

Attached Files:

7. manueld macrumors 6502

I'm not quite sure about this on CS4, I still get anti-aliasing even when using the rounded rectangular shape tool. The same goes for the line tool as well. It's quite annoying really.

8. eponym macrumors 6502

Well, yeah—you're still dealing with a raster-based document.

Photoshop is just giving you a vector shape as means to author that raster shape. It's still being rendered at the documents resolution.

If you take the original saved graphic and scale it up, it's going to get fuzzy/blurry. I don't know what file format the iPhone uses for its file assets (I'm guessing PNGs), but unless it's SVG (and naturally made in something like Illustrator), you can't just scale them up at will. They'll be interpolated.

9. mashny macrumors regular

Don't know much about iPhone graphics, but you can also use the Pen tool in Photoshop for vector shapes.