How to get nVidia web driver to stick?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by dmylrea, May 25, 2015.

1. dmylrea macrumors 68000

dmylrea

Wondering, once I choose (from the menu bar) the nVidia Web Driver, should it still be set to that after a reboot?

I have a GTX 960 (non-flashed) that works on boot-up (Yosemite), but always defaults to "OS X Default Display Driver". I choose "nVidia Web Driver" and it selects it (although nothing really seems to change). I can look at the drop down and nVidia is still chosen, but after reboot, it's back to OS X Default Display driver.

One other thing, just got two Dell P2715Q 4K displays. Connected via Displayport to the GTX 960. In Yosemite, my maximum scaled choice is 3200x1800. Shouldn't there be a 3840x2160 choice?

Thanks.

2. MacVidCards Suspended

If the card is working at all, yo are using Web Driver

I have seen that weird behavior where it says it isn't running but is.

May need to run 10.10.3 updater again and then re-install

You can't "scale" the top resolution.

3. flowrider macrumors 601

flowrider

Check the Cuda Preference Pane to see which driver is running.

Note: When the Nvidia driver is selected, you should be directed to reboot for the driver to be activated.

Lou

Attached Files:

• SS2.jpg
      SS2.jpg
      File size:
      60.8 KB
      Views:
  4. dmylrea thread starter macrumors 68000

dmylrea

Don't have CUDA loaded. I suppose I could, but not sure purpose it serves. This Mac Pro will mainly be for video and photo editing (Photoshop and FCPX).

Also, when I select the nVidia driver, it only prompts for password. No reboot. If I reselect OS X Default Display driver then it wants to reboot.

5. dmylrea thread starter macrumors 68000

dmylrea

By "10.10.3 updater" you mean OS X, correct? I just installed a new web driver this morning, and it didn't make a difference.

How do I select the display's native resolution (knowing everything will be too small, but I want to see it anyways)? If I don't choose "scaled" then the "Display default" option shows a retina-like display equivalent to 1920x1080.

6. MacVidCards Suspended

Hold option when opening display preferences.

Or install Display Menu, great little app

I meant download and run the 10.10.3 combo update.

You could also type "nvram -p" in terminal and see if Nvda drive = 1 is a boot arg.

But a 960 will show nothing but black without web driver, so it must be running.