How to get over a Cold....?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by fab5freddy, Feb 20, 2008.

1. fab5freddy macrumors 65816

fab5freddy

I recently waited out in the cold weather for a few hours and this resulted in me getting a cold,

i feel like **** now.

Does anyone have any advice to what natural remedies
    i can do to get over this darn thing ?

I don't want to take chemicals, as a i am generally against unnatural stuff.....

thanks !

2. bjett92 macrumors 6502a

You can't technically cure a cold, you can only treat the symptoms.

WebMD has 9 tips to treat a cold. I've always found a hot shower and hot chocolate work great.

3. Hello.there macrumors 6502a

Hello.there

Time. That's the only thing that gets rid of a cold - all the other 'remedies' are bullpoo.

If you feel one coming on load yourself in Vitamin C, take a couple of paracetamol, wrap up warm and get some sleep - usually works for me.

4. McGiord, Feb 20, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2011

McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

Drink a lot of fluids, have a good rest, sleep a lot, don't allow it to evolve into another serious condition.
    To clean your nose out of the congestion use a saline solution spray.
    ________
    FJ600

5. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

Take echinacea and wait seven to ten days.
    Or take vitamin C and wait seven to ten days.
    Or drink a lot of water and wait seven to ten days.
    Or have chicken soup and wait seven to ten days.
    Or hop around on one foot and wait seven to ten days.
    ...you get the idea.

6. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

BEHOLD!!!!

The only known "cure" for the common cold
    [​IMG]

7. MisterHXC macrumors newbie

MisterHXC

I remember my Mom used to give me these things called "Cold-eeze"

They we're supposed to cut cold time in half and it did. I reccomend it

8. MacBook-Gal macrumors regular

Lol.........It is also a genuine "nosewasher" that can be used to wash the germs out of your sinuses after you've been around people with contagious bugs!:eek:

If you can stand to take them, then garlic capsules are supposed to be a strong natural antivirus medicine. Also, elderberry capsules and zinc are supposed to help.

9. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

10. Xfujinon macrumors 6502

Cold-eze are effective if started immediately upon presentation of symptoms. Do not take them within one hour of eating. Don't take multi-vitamins while taking them.

Push clear fluids, as much as you can handle. Get 10 hours of uninterrupted sleep. The next day, continue to push fluids.

My colds seem to go away quicker with this strategy than they did in the past.

Good luck!

11. MacBook-Gal macrumors regular

12. ErikCLDR macrumors 68000

Lots of hot drinks and hot showers really clear out the mucus. Mucinex works pretty well but takes 2-3 days to really start working.

Time is what really makes it go away.

13. biturbomunkie macrumors 6502a

i.) drink loads of water
    ii.) sleep at least 8 hrs
    iii.) eat well
    iv.) keep yourself warm

while taking vitamin C may reduce the chances of getting a cold, taking vitamin C supplement while you have already gotten a cold will most likely have no benefits at all.

14. teleromeo macrumors 65816

teleromeo

drink some grog (glühwein, some recipe with hot wine and herbs)

15. cycocelica macrumors 68000

cycocelica

I drink lots and lots of green tea.

But I hear beer kills everything, so give that a try.

16. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

I think Zicam works pretty well. I have not had a full on cold in ages...one will start and I will take it and the symptoms go away pretty quickly. Not immediate by any means, but the symptoms never get horrible like they used to with regular colds and such.

17. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

if not you'll at least feel better for a little bit until the next morning b/c your hungover :p

18. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Colds are virus-based, so there's no "cure", really. Treat them symptomatically and boost your system with stuff that will help the immune system do it's job. Lots of Vitamin C, in nearly any form. Megadoses of C from the local grocery/drugstore are perfectly good, 1000 mg a couple times a day. Make sure you push clear fluids, too, you'll pee out the excess. Emergen-C and Zicam are both efficacious. Chicken soup actually has been proven to have many beneficial effects, but you really need homemade, Campbell's is just salty crap.

Just make yourself feel better using whatever works, whether it's home remedies or OTC stuff. Anything that makes you comfy and rest well helps your body concentrate on the important part.

And thank the stars that you're not my age yet (I'm assuming), even "mild" colds turn into 5-day nightmares.

19. klymr macrumors 65816

That stuff can be potentially dangerous! I've seen reports of people that have used it only to feel a burning sensation in their nose resulting in a complete loss of the sense of smell. Plus it's impossible to "cure" a cold.

The best thing to do is practice preventative methods, but we all know that's not possible. I recently got a cold and checked out a few websites for remedies. They all stated that zinc, whether in lozenge (cold-eeze ;)) or tablet form, all help reduce duration of the said cold. I went and bought a jar of zinc tablets (beware, they may make you nauseous) and took one while eating chicken noodle soup and drinking plenty of liquids. Seriously, not even two days later I had no signs or symptoms of the cold left. It's the fastest I've ever gotten over a cold.

Also, while I was doing that research, one site said that the over the counter cold medicines only make things worse in the long run. They mask the symptoms and after a few days of feeling good you get used to them and the symptoms surface only to be worse.

The list of things I found to help me were:
    1. Chicken noodle soup. "First, it acts as an anti-inflammatory by inhibiting the movement of neutrophils — immune system cells that participate in the body's inflammatory response. Second, it temporarily speeds up the movement of mucus through the nose, helping relieve congestion and limiting the amount of time viruses are in contact with the nose lining." The article I'm quoting (link posted at the end of my post) suggests that homemade has the same benefits as canned/store bought soup. There aren't many canned soups that don't provide the benefits listed.

2. Plenty of sleep!

3. Plenty of liquids!

4. Zinc

Here is a link to a page that I found, where I got a lot of this information. Check it out. http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/cold-remedies/ID00036

20. Flyer0815 macrumors 6502

Lots of teachers and administrators swear by Airborne... like myself... I take it every time I get sick, and as psychosomatic as it may be, I truly feel my colds are much shorter in length than if I take nothing.

21. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

This year I started taking echinacea and daily vitamins everyday when winter kicked in. I also made sure I had foods with antioxidants. I got sick 2 times but were very light compared to the episodes of yesteryear. There is no cure after getting the virus but usually keeping the throat and my nose moist helps. Hot showers and hot tea. Sleeping as much as you can.

Past years of me getting sick resulted in weeks of a cough and mucus that seems to neve go away, but this year it wasn't bad. Maybe I just didn't get it bad or it was the methods.

One more thing, taking a bunch of Vit C after getting sick doesn't help, and when building up your immunity with Vit C, your body can only process so much of it. No need to intake too much of it, but it won't hurt you either.

22. GSMiller macrumors 68000

GSMiller

Love Zicam.

23. Whorehay macrumors 6502a

Whorehay

I take Vitamin C and drink lots of water. I'm doing that right now.

24. gadgetgirl85 macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

I have a cold too :( Just take panadol and suck on a lozenger thats about it. Still doing my cycle classes at the gym (with great difficulty) but I'm sure it will pass!

25. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

I also take Juice Plus and have yet to get sick this season (didn't take it last year) and have a lot more energy. I swear that stuff is an all-natural miracle drug.

If by chance I do get sick I drink lots and lots of fluids (water is best) to flush it out. You may have to pee every hour but at least you'll shorten your cold by a few days. I also take Mucinex and Sudafed (not that PE garbage) since if I do get sick it's always a sinus infection. I've only actually had the flu once in my life.