How to get over electronic OCD? What has helped you?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by placidity44, May 26, 2015.

1. placidity44 macrumors 6502

placidity44

I was just wondering how some people let go if something is wrong with your products such as cosmetic imperfections on your devices etc. For example I have had OCD since before I can remember and was officially diagnosed at 11. I have done BCT and have been on most of the medications to manage OCD. I hate clutter and have to have little to nothing in my room and around the house. I am obsessive about health, I wash my hands a ton, remove all body hair because I feel unclean with hair, but nothing bothers me more than imperfections in my technological gadgets. Every thing else doesn't take up much time at all but i'll find myself examining my iPhone 6 Plus for bends multiple times each and every day. I have a good job and I know 110% that this is extremely irrational. I know I can get a new phone in a year or two and it's just a phone. Apple isn't going to stop making them. I did the wobble test face down on my 6 plus and it wobbled but for the life of me I can't see any bend. I know this has been beaten to death completely and i'm not in any way shape or form blaming apple I just want to know if very slight warping is normal and i'm thinking even though I am within the one year standard warranty maybe having an imperfect device and living with it would be beneficial to me. I know if I keep giving into the OCD cycle of obsession>anxiey>compulsions>relief. the cycle is never going to end and i'll have to deal with it the rest of my life. So in conclusion i'm asking if slight warping is normal. I'm sure if I get a replacement after a while the same thing would happen. Again it doesn't affect the functionality at all and it looks completely straight. I don't understand why this bothers me at all when it is most certainly a first world problem and people are at war and starving yet it still drives me crazy. I'm not looking for any judgement i'd just highly appreciate people who may not have OCD but have something similar when it comes to technology gadgets and what if anything has helped them even if it's just something that helps a bit. Thank you.

2. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

Are you still on medication or doing cognitive behavioral therapy?

3. placidity44 thread starter macrumors 6502

placidity44

4. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

Definitely continuing treatment with CBT and possibly medication is a good idea. If you're not satisfied ith your therapist, psychologist, or doctor, find a new one. Perhaps consider an outpatient program if you feel like your OCD is substantially interfering with your everyday life.

There are many SSRI's associated with decreasing OCD symptoms. There is evidence to suggest some antipsychotics, or as I like to call them "dopamine agents" (antipsychotic isn't an appropriate name anymore IMO), in combination increase the effects of the SSRI. Thorazine (the first antipsychotic), is essentially glorified Benadryl.

I assume since you attend CBT you probably know this kind of stuff, but I'll just say it anyways...

For some, OCD is just an outlet of a completely different source of anxiety. Finding the source of your deeper anxiety and addressing it may change your behavior. You might think you need to wash your hands because you're going to get sick and die, when in fact you're actually anxious about the future.

In other words, your obsession of your iPhone condition may have nothing to do with how the phone actually looks. Perhaps it's a deflection of the anxiety you feel about your insecurity over how other people view of you (it may not even be that literal of a connection- perhaps you're nervous about rejection or a sick family member). You can rationalize and rationalize why the OCD beliefs are false, but that does not change the feeling behind them. The feelings create the OCD, but the OCD is irrational, the feelings behind the OCD may be quite real. Find out if there is something underneath it all that is causing you anxiety. Treat the anxiety, treat the OCD.

Just food for thought. Just so you know, some people's OCD does resolve, and for many symptoms become very manageable.

5. placidity44 thread starter macrumors 6502

placidity44

I really appreciate that advice. I know it's a lifelong thing to manage and I really appreciate being taken seriously and given a step or two in order to address or manage it. I don't expect it to ever go away but to get to a manageable state would be a huge relief. Thank you so much.

6. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

Have you talked with your therapist about this specific manifestation of your OCD? Have any of the previous interventions you have used worked with the phone obsession? You have great insight into the diagnosis and symptoms which is a wonderful strength. Stay focused on the negative anxiety cycle and use the tools that you have to ground yourself in reality as opposed to the anxious and obsessive thoughts.