How to get personal info off a knackered macbook pro?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by iPadnewbie, Mar 3, 2011.

1. iPadnewbie macrumors newbie

I`ve only posted on the forum a couple of times before but would really appreciate some help please.

Unfortunately when doing a water change on my fish tank, one part of the hosing came off and water shot everywhere, including all over my macbook which had been sat at the end of the worktop in the kitchen. Needless to say my macbook now won`t switch on despite having been sat in the airing cupboard in the hope it would dry out :(

We`re having to go through our home insurance to see if we can get it sorted and from what I`ve read on water damage to a macbook it`ll likely be replaced rather than repaired?

Is it possible to get the personal info off the knackered macbook and is it an easy job that anyone can do?

2. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

iFixIt has some really good guides of how to replace harddrives, the difficulty of which for the MacBook Pro depends on the model.

http://www.ifixit.com/Browse/MacBook_Pro

Once out you can then place the harddrive in an external caddy which you could then plug into a new computer just like an external drive. You can even boot from it and use migration assistant to move the information over to the new computer or even clone the install over.

3. iPadnewbie thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the info.

Apparently I have to wait for the home insurance to deal with the claim and then I have to request that the hard drive be returned to me first :confused: