How to get photos off a non functioning iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by richwoodrocket, Feb 22, 2015.

1. richwoodrocket macrumors 68020

richwoodrocket

Hey everybody, I have an iPhone 4 that doesn't work anymore. It stopped working about a year ago. Doesn't turn on or take a charge or anything and I gave up hope on reviving it a long time ago. I got a 5c to replace it.
    I made sure to do frequent back ups on my iphone 4, in case something like that happened. I encrypted my backups though.(more on that later)
    When I got my 5c, I thought about restoring from backup but I decided against since I figured it would be nice to start fresh with a new iPhone and not have all the clutter from my old one.
    The problem is that I had a lot of pictures on it that I would like to get off it. These pictures aren't really important so I figured I could live without them. Now I'm kind of curious to see all the pictures and videos that I lost.
    I've looked at some iPhone explorer backup tool things for the computer and if I remember correctly you either need the working phone, or an unencrypted backup. I know that I can restore my 5c from that backup now, but I really don't want to go through all that trouble.
    My question is, does anybody know of a solution that will allow me to get those pictures and videos back?

2. SHirsch999 macrumors 6502a

I have 2 suggestions, but I'm not sure if either will work. First, you can attach the iPhone 4 to a computer and get the pics and videos from the DCIM folder. Also, you can restore your current phone from a backup of your previous phone and get them that way. If you choose that route just make sure you back up your current iPhone before restoring it.

3. IpadSC400 macrumors 6502a

IpadSC400

Fix it. If you didn't drop it in water and didn't drive over it with your car, it should be easily fixable. What's to lose, a few bucks?

What have you tried to replace?

4. richwoodrocket thread starter macrumors 68020

richwoodrocket

Doesn't show up in windows explorer :(

I haven't replaced anything. I'm really not too concerned if I can't get the pictures off but I want a free way to do it if possible. :)

5. IpadSC400 macrumors 6502a

IpadSC400

A battery only costs some 5 bucks. Otherwise, you're looking at having the samsung memory chip desoldered and soldered into a mini SD card and you got your pictures. Your only choice is to replace the battery, or whatever broke on it.

6. ApfelKuchen macrumors 68020

Free: Backup your current iPhone. Restore the backup of the old phone to your new phone. Transfer the photos to the computer. Restore the backup of the new phone.

7. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

Can you take out the SIM card? Then plug SIM into a computer and pull the photos off of it.

b. ask around computer shops and see if they can do it if you don't have a SD slot on your Mac..

8. richwoodrocket thread starter macrumors 68020

richwoodrocket

That is not how a SIM card works...
    And the iphone doesn't have an sd card slot.

----------

I really don't feel like doing this but it seems like it's the only way. I guess I'll give it a shot. Thanks.