How to get quick info on files

Discussion in 'macOS' started by GtrDude, Oct 17, 2017.

1. GtrDude macrumors 6502

GtrDude

Just wondering if there's a way in the Finder to get quick file info just by clicking on it?
    This is very easy in Windows. Just click (highlight the file(s)) and you get info on total size, physical and on disk etc.
    Is something similar possible on the Mac without having to right click on go to "Get Info" every time

2. DeltaMac macrumors G3

DeltaMac

I think you can do much the same as Windows with one of the finder replacement apps, but I don't know which of those still work in High Sierra. Maybe that does not concern you...

Or, alternatively:
    1. click on the file to select.
    2. press command-i for the info window
    Same result as right-click, choose Get Info --- just a different key sequence to get there.

Or, closer to Windows - enable the preview pane from the View menu. Shows you some of the same info that you see in Windows just by selecting a file - or you can also enable the path bar, which will show you the file path for any selected file.

3. BrianBaughn macrumors 603

BrianBaughn

If you're checking multiple files you can open the "Inspector" (hold option down when doing the first "Get Info"). The "Get Info" window will remain open and change for whatever file you click on.

4. GtrDude thread starter macrumors 6502

GtrDude

Thanks to both replies.

I turned on the preview. This helps.

Thanks again.