How to get refund from bad web hosting outfit

Colonel Panik

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 23, 2004
Dublin, Ireland
Hi all,

I set up a plan with planetgac.net, but they couldn't even get my requested domain name registered, so after a month I dumped them, and they promised to refund my money. So, fast forward a couple of months later, and still no refund, and mails seem to disappear into a black hole. Of course, I should have spotted the lack of phone number and twigged that it wasn't the best.

I changed host, who got the domain name registered in a matter of hours, and everything is cool with them, they're a very responsive crowd.

So, does anyone know if there's an official register of web-hosts, where someone can go if they've got a problem? Has anyone had problems with a host which they got resolved in some third-party way?

jywv8

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2003
Chicago
Colonel Panik said:
Hi all,

I set up a plan with planetgac.net, but they couldn't even get my requested domain name registered, so after a month I dumped them, and they promised to refund my money. So, fast forward a couple of months later, and still no refund, and mails seem to disappear into a black hole. Of course, I should have spotted the lack of phone number and twigged that it wasn't the best.

I changed host, who got the domain name registered in a matter of hours, and everything is cool with them, they're a very responsive crowd.

So, does anyone know if there's an official register of web-hosts, where someone can go if they've got a problem? Has anyone had problems with a host which they got resolved in some third-party way?
I had a problem with a web host never setting up my account correctly. I couldn't get a straight answer about my problems or a refund, so I ended up calling my credit card company and had them reverse the charge for the money I paid the hosting service.

Colonel Panik

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 23, 2004
Dublin, Ireland
Okay, update time,

I've followed jywv8's lead, and talked to my credit card people (why didn't I think of that?). They've been very helpful, and I'd like to see planetGAC ignore them!

As to hosting solutions, thanks, but I'm happily hosted with hasweb.com, whom I can thoroughly recommend. Cheap and generous and very prompt with support.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.