How to get replacement iphone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by unclejamaal, Aug 23, 2010.

1. unclejamaal macrumors 6502

Hi All,

A few questions regarding the Genius Bar:

Do I need to book a genius bar appt at the local store to replace my Iphone?

I currently have my IPhone 4 jailbroken. Should I restore it to 4.0.2 before going along to the Genius Bar?

Are new/refurb handsets shipping with 4.0.2? I'd like to be able to jailbreak if I am to get a replacement :)

Thanks.

2. billyjoegibsonx macrumors 6502

You can either book an appointment online for at your store, or pop in...they will get you seen to if it's not to busy. You can phone AppleCare, but I'm not familiar with that, never used it. They won't give you a new iPhone btw, It'll be a refurbished model.

You'll need to restore your iphone and update to 4.0.2. They won't replace your iPhone jailbroken, it voids the warranty on your iPhone, but if you restore it they won't know anything :p but by restoring you'll have to update to 4.0.2

So either stick with your iPhone as it is, or give up your jailbreak.

just curious, whats wrong with the iPhone anyway? (please don't say its scratched or has antenna issues lol)

3. unclejamaal thread starter macrumors 6502

proximity sensor :mad:

4. winterny macrumors 6502

Make sure after you restore it to 4.0.2 that the boot-up screen doesn't have the colored dots on it. When I restored my phone to get it replaced, I had to do a DFU mode restore to eliminate the dots.

5. Solange82200 macrumors regular

You are probably going to lose your jailbreak, but maybe not if you go soon. I went last Tuesday to exchange my phone (the camera lens was all scratched up even though it was in a case since the day I bought it, I know, Im OCD). Anyway, I was jailbroken so before I went in and used my saved SHSH blobs and restored to 4.0.1. That way, in case they wouldnt exchange it for me i could still jailbreak.

They did exchange it for me, pulled a phone out of a plain little black box, I have no idea if it was refurb or new, but it looks new so that is all I care about. It still had 4.0.1 on it, and I was able to save the SHSH blobs for that one right before apple stopped signing them last week.

If you hurry, the replacement might still have 4.0.1 and you can jailbreak, but if you have to restore for any reason you will have to upgrade and lose your jailbreak (since its too late to save the blobs)

6. mcmanus7 macrumors 6502a

are apple stores still replacing iPhone 4's for the 'proximity sensor' issue??

I've heard multiple people get declined since there is a software fix on it's way...

7. unclejamaal thread starter macrumors 6502

I know what you mean :( Does this mean there is unlikely to be a jailbreak for a 4.x any time soon, since apple stopped signing the blobs?

8. ItsJustafnPhone macrumors 6502a

doubt you are going to get a replacement for proximity sensor

its true it doesn't work as well as the 3g or 3gs

Just hold the phone closer to your ear = solves the problem

9. Solange82200 macrumors regular

Well, what will most likely happen is when Apple releases firmware 4.1, the dev-team will hopefully find a jailbreak for that, they always have in the past. They just dont want to waste their efforts and let Apple patch an exploit just to release a jailbreak for 4.0.2., since there is no reason for people to upgrade to that anyway, since it has no new features. They understand that some people were forced to get to 4.0.2 when they got their phones that way, but they figure you can wait a month or two till 4.1 comes out, it's better for the community as a whole that they dont waste all their exploits and have Apple patch em all up.

That is what many of us early adopters had to do also, I got my phone on 6/30 and it seemed like an eternity before a jailbreak came out... Just be patient, you will most likely get your jailbreak eventually

10. unclejamaal thread starter macrumors 6502

:D thanks for that. Not too sure I want to swap my phone with its proximity sensor issues right now . Its jailbroken, works fine apart from the sensor issue, which I think Apple have promised to fix in a future firmware release . I get less 'calls on mute' than my previous Iphone 4 anyway so better than before..

11. hipp013 macrumors newbie

First of all, your iPhone can still have a warranty if you get the AppleCare plan. It gives your a new 1-year warranty for your iPhone, even though it is jailbroken, but the plan costs you $60. Second, on an iPhone, they WILL know if you jailbroke and restored. They can track your iPhone's software progress by your phone number. They can tell if you jailbroke.

12. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, I wouldnt bother now.
    Wait a few weeks till 4.1 comes out.
    Its supposed to fix the prox issues and if it doesnt Im also going to be swapping mine.

All of the above post is false or a poor joke attempt.
    If you purchase the additional 1 year applecare it still does NOT cover a JB device. You will be turned away the same with or without the extra applecare.
    2nd if you restore thru itunes and setup the phone as new they cannot tell you were JB before or track anything from your phone number or any other mumbo jumbo you posted.

13. Sen5es macrumors newbie

Possible?

Sorry for bringing an old post back.

My iPhone 4's camera rear camera has been getting blurry and blurrier overtime while my front facing camera works flawlessly. I want to see if they could fix this.

But if you jailbreak your phone and do a 'restore' through iTunes is it possible that the Apple store could tell that it has been jailbroken and void the warranty?

I've been looking online but it looks like it's a 50/50 Yes and No and some claiming that they have diagnostic tools.

Has anyone tried?

14. calvy macrumors 65816

Most genius's don't really care. They just don't want you brining it into them for service while it's jailbroken. I've seen them turn people away, and tell them to go home and unjailbreak it and come back.

But to answer your question, as long as you do a DFU mode restore, and do not restore any info from backups, they can't tell. Unless they happen to notice your baseband is back a level like mine was last time I went in.

15. Sen5es macrumors newbie

Okay, I did a DFU mode restore. I restored to factory setting so I don't think its from backup.

What is baseband change? And how do I know if I changed my baseband or not?