How to get rid of a macbook

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by glennyboiwpg, Aug 21, 2007.

1. glennyboiwpg macrumors 6502

In the next month or so I want to sell my macbook 1.83 core duo and add some money and get a new iMac.

Hows the best way of selling it? I am in canada and i still have a 2 year best buy warrentee with it that I think I can transfer to another person (But only in canada I think, is that true?)

I look on ebay and people have been selling these things for like 800 bucks (which would be awesome) The only thing is I don't have an ebay account (and I don't think I know of anyone who is a huge seller on ebay to sell it for me)

Do I try ebay, or do people from here buy stuff from people?

Hows the best way to get the biggest bang for my buck?

2. Mac-Addict macrumors 65816

Mac-Addict

You could put it up here and on ebay... or ask your friends or anyone you know who could be interested.

3. motherduce macrumors 6502

Friends and family. I sold mine to my mom, gave her a great computer at a good deal, and felt good about the money I got as well - convert some friends and family with a great lappy.

Alternatives include the marketplace here, eBay (sell a few items quickly to get some cred) or craigslist (if they have it in Canada). Or local websites.

4. hurricanekate2 macrumors newbie

Try craigslist. You can post an add (with pictures) for free, and it's popular (at least in my area, I don't know where you are in Canada). That way you can meet up with someone locally in a public place, they can check out the computer in person and pay you in cash on the spot. Avoids a lot of the pitfalls of using eBay, for both seller and buyer.

5. maestrokev macrumors 6502a

maestrokev

If you're in Vancouver, www.craigslist.org, is very popular and free to use.

6. Veritas&Equitas macrumors 68000

Veritas&Equitas

1. He can't sell here, doesn't have 100 posts.
    2. If you went eBay route, you probably wouldn't get as much as you think b/c you'll have a fresh account with 0 feedback = people will be more wary of bidding
    3. CL is best option in your situation

7. glennyboiwpg thread starter macrumors 6502

So I need 100 posts to sell something on here? Well I checked and im at 86 (now 87) By the time i'm ready to sell i'll have a hundred.

How do I "sell" something on here? Do I just create a post in a foram or is there something special I need to do?

8. Veritas&Equitas macrumors 68000

Veritas&Equitas

Yes, you need 100 posts. You post them in the "Marketplace" forum.

9. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

I'll second Craigslist, I've had very good experiences through it in the Washington/Baltimore area.

I'd also suggest getting to 100 posts here on Macrumors so you can list it in the Marketplace as well.

But in either case do it as soon as possible because people are looking for Macbooks now to start school with.

10. glennyboiwpg thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks,

Thanks for the responses... I wasn't planning on selling it for a few months, just because I wanted to save up a bit of money so I can get the Imac....

hmmm I am using my computer for a programing project (personal project) and I ahve an old Peecee as my little linux webserver... maybe I should sell the macbook now and just use the peecee for a few months until I can buy the imac?

Thoughts?

11. jaycrew macrumors member

Craigslist is probably the best way to go. You also avoid the scammers who win your auctions and don't send payment. Happened to me when I sold a laptop about a year ago.