how to get rid of "adbyMacvx" software

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by sostoobad, Mar 9, 2015.

1. sostoobad macrumors regular

I somehow have something I can't get rid of, when I go to sites, these ads by Mac vx pop up, when I try to empty the trash it won't let me says programs open/running. Any ideas, I am not a computer wiz or anything, thanks for any help, Ben

The item open is mplayer-x3.dmg whatever that is

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Remove unwanted adware that displays pop-up ads and graphics on your Mac
    Adware can be removed by using this tool: AdwareMedic

3. sostoobad thread starter macrumors regular

Hi thanks for the tip, did download it, can't seem to get it to work. i open up the app and there is no next step, I am sure I am doing something wrong.:eek:

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Before you run the app, reboot and hold the shift key at boot to boot to safe mode. That will stop any startup or login items from running. Once you get the AdwareMedic.dmg downloaded into your Downloads folder, quit any browsers you have running.

Just click the DMG from the Downloads folder and the DMG will open and you will see this.

[​IMG]

Now double click the AdwareMedic app on the left there and you will get a popup asking if it is okay to run the app. Say okay to that and you will get a couple screens to donate for the app and to auto update when you launch.

Then you should be here at the main app window.

[​IMG]

Now click the Scan for Adware button to do the scan.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

What version of OS X are you running? AdwareMedic requires a Mac running Mac OS X 10.7 (Lion) or later.

6. sostoobad thread starter macrumors regular

Hi thanks for the tips, Weasleboy, I did get that far but there was no scan button, thats what I couldn't figure out.

And GGJstudios, I have a 2012 mac mini, so thats fine, I am at a different computer now, will try again when I get home in about3 hrs, and thanks for the help, Ben

7. sostoobad thread starter macrumors regular

Hi followed the steps, this time it worked, many thanks for the help.

Ben