How to get rid of delete confirmation from Finder

Discussion in 'OS X Yosemite (10.10)' started by takaiguchi, Oct 10, 2014.

1. takaiguchi macrumors member

I always use the keyboard shortcut "CMD + delete" to delete items. In the past, it hasn't had a "are you sure you want to delete xx" confirmation box, but now it does. Any ideas of how to turn that off?

2. fisherking macrumors 603

fisherking

Finder>Preferences>Advanced. uncheck "show warning before emptying the trash"...

3. takaiguchi thread starter macrumors member

Not before emptying trash, but actually deleting a file into the trash.

4. fisherking macrumors 603

fisherking

command-delete sends a file to the trash, and does not delete it...and never did. unless..you had something set up to do that? the default behavior just moves a file TO the trash.

you're talking about files in Finder??

5. takaiguchi thread starter macrumors member

Yep, that's what I mean. Put files in the trash. The dialog box says delete. Here is the image.

[​IMG]

6. KALLT macrumors 601

Are you sure that you’re deleting that file from your hard drive? This notification typically comes up for files you attempt to delete from shared hard drives, as these cannot be moved to your trash folder.

7. takaiguchi thread starter macrumors member

From my desktop.

8. KALLT macrumors 601

9. jbarley, Oct 10, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2014

jbarley macrumors 68030

jbarley

I just tried your 'cmd+delete' key combo and the action was immediate, file sent from the Finder to the trash, no prompt whatsoever.

Yosemite PB5...

edit:
    here is a picture of trying to delete a file from my NAS drive.
    Look familiar?

Attached Files:

10. The19th macrumors regular

Another way to test this is if the OP turns off Wi-fi/unplugs ethernet and restarts, then tries to move to trash again. This method can isolate if it's an issue with moving a file from the desktop of the internal storage to the trash, or moving a file from the desktop of a network/shared volume to the trash. If it's the former, then it might be something that needs some troubleshooting.

On GMC3.0 here and moving files from the Desktop (internal storage) to the trash with cmd-delete does not bring up a notification.