How to get rid of interim windows

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by macro, Feb 14, 2008.

1. macro macrumors member

I am using FireFox and Thunderbird for browser and email apps. When I launch the apps I get a small, interim window on the desktop that shows a path from the apps symbol to the HDD via an arrow. Other installs I have downloaded or taken from install discs do not do this do not show this small window. Am I clear enough? I just do not understand exactly how to get rid of these little windows. The apps run and launch and work just fine. Just the windows that happen first are not necessary and want to know how to properly correct this.

Running: Model Name: mac pro
    Model Identifier: MacPro1,1
    Processor Name: Dual-Core Intel Xeon
    Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz
    Number Of Processors: 2
    Total Number Of Cores: 4
    L2 Cache (per processor): 4 MB
    Memory: 9 GB
    Bus Speed: 1.33 GHz
    Boot ROM Version: MP11.005D.B00
    SMC Version: 1.7f10

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

The arrow is telling you what to do. Drag the App icon to the Apps folder in the "interim window" and it'll be installed.

Right now you're running your apps in their installer packages.

B

3. macro thread starter macrumors member

Dragging in the interim window did not work. So, ferreting out your advice I dragged it to the HDD icon which opened the apps folder, dragged it there and it seems to have worked perfectly. Thanks for the thought spark. Sparks are good, no, great.

It takes a while to come over from PC's.

4. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

Most dmg files will have an application folder shortcut inside the DMG with an arrow signaling you to drag it to that shortcut. Normally that is what you should do, Mozilla for some reason doesnt include the actual shortcut inside their files.

When they dont give you shortcut folders inside the window an easy way to put it in the apps folder is to hit the little oval button in the top right corner of the window to change it to the normal Finder view, then just drag the app to the applications shortcut in the sidebar.

5. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

6. macro thread starter macrumors member

Thank you very much for being attentive and helpful. Here's a large "Thank You" from me. Very nice to have you help me through this.