How to get rid of this mail!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mdwsta4, Dec 2, 2008.

1. mdwsta4 macrumors 65816

i've been using mail for quite some time and finally received an error message while trying to forward something from my work address. my mail box is full!
    so today i went in and cleaned out all the spam, sent messages, and deleted message. also readjusted my settings so these would clean out automatically after X amount of time.
    typically when i have mail open I use the top inbox, sent, junk under 'mailboxes'. i store all my personal items under the 'on my mac' folders. then there's the 'matt home' which i really don't know what that is. when i open up the 'all mail' folder there are over 5000 messages in there. some are messages that i want to keep, but the majority (all but maybe 200) are junk/spam.
    is the 'matt home' where my mailbox pulls information from? or can i delete it without affecting the top folders? or else how do i get rid of all this junk? the spam/sent/trash folders under the 'matt home' are all empty.

image which hope describes what i'm talking about.
    [​IMG]

thanks!!

2. rtpub macrumors member

rtpub

I can see that you've set up your Mail to interact with your Gmail account...
    Did you set up POP or IMAP? Also, the "All Mail" folder you were referring to may be the one resides in your Gmail account.

Some suggested readings about setting up IMAP for Gmail:
    http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=75725
    http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=75726

Please excuse my brief comment for I'm also a new comer using Mac and Mail with IMAP for Gmail and all that... ;)

Good luck!!

3. mdwsta4 thread starter macrumors 65816

4. mdwsta4 thread starter macrumors 65816

anybody else? my account is already set up for imap. how do i get rid of all these messages that have otherwise been deleted?

thanks!

5. jfull15 macrumors 6502

Using the GMAIL web interface, you need to enable a google labs feature called "Advanced IMAP Controls" Then, when you open the "Labels" tab in GMAIL settings, a checkbox "Show in IMAP" will show up. You can then deselect what you don't want to see in Mail.app

EDIT: scratch that. I read your question wrong. sorry.