How to get Siri not Voice Control on 4S

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bagpuss, Oct 14, 2011.

1. bagpuss macrumors newbie

Got my new 4S, transferred everything over from my 4 using the standard setup, plug into iTunes process.

All seems fine, but I can't get Siri to start! When I press and hold the home button, I get the same Voice Control interface that you get on the 4. Holding it up to my ear and asking for something just makes me feel stupid, as nothing happens. (Go ahead - try holding your stapler to your ear and asking it to set a reminder. No response? That's what I'm getting!)

Am I missing something obvious?

Software is definitely iOS 5.0.

2. LoganT macrumors 68020

Go to Settings>General>Siri to see if it's enabled.

3. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

This is gonna sound dumb, but... Are you sure it's a 4S?

4. mikethebigo macrumors 68000

Man would that be a dagger.

5. bagpuss thread starter macrumors newbie

Yep, that's the one!

I'd looked in settings for Siri, couldn't find it. It's under Settings/General/Siri.

Works a treat now, thanks for your instant reply!

From London, England, All Hail the iPhone 4S!

6. Foo4Everlong macrumors member

I believe that someone said yesterday that when they backed up their 4s from iCloud or iTunes they lost Siri completely cuz the iOS they backed up to didn't have Siri. I for sure will be starting as a new iPhone just to be on the safe side. Later

----------

Good, glad u found it! The guy yesterday must have overlooked this! Good 4 u! Later

7. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

I doubt it as iOS would detect the hardware drivers required for that device(much like your computer does) and enable/disable software features accordingly.

8. Sir Ruben macrumors 65816

Sir Ruben

As far as Im aware new iPhone 4S have Siri off by default, you have to enable it manually. Kinda like you had to switch faceTime on when you first used your iPhone 4.