Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

If you own an Alexa smart device, you'll likely have used the "What's new?" or "What's happening?" voice command to hear your daily news briefing, which can be customized to include your own interests.

siri-iphone-x.jpg

Siri has a similar feature that uses the Podcasts app to bring you a daily news digest, which you can also customize to an extent. It can be invoked on HomePod, Apple Watch, and any iPhone or iPad running iOS 11.2.5 or later.

There are a couple of things to note before using Siri's news brief feature. The last time we checked, it was limited to users based in the U.S., the U.K., and Australia, and it isn't available on Siri for Mac, regardless of where you're based. With those caveats in mind, here's how to get it working.

1. To get a news briefing on your Apple device, say "Hey Siri, tell me the news." Alternatively, on an iOS device, hold down the Home button or Side button and say "Tell me the news" or "Play the news."
  2. On iPhone and iPad, tap Open Podcasts to launch the Podcasts app and see which news show is currently playing or to pause the episode. You can also control audio playback from the Control Center.
    how-to-get-siri-to-play-a-news-brief-800x615.jpeg

To change Siri's default news source, you can say "Switch to Sky News" or "Switch to Washington News," for example.
    how-to-get-siri-to-play-a-news-brief02-e1541633663588-800x442-800x442.jpg

To hear a one-off news brief from a different source, you can say "Play news from NPR" or "Play news from Fox News," for example.
    how-to-get-siri-to-play-a-news-brief-0-800x437.jpeg

To hear a news brief for a specific topic, you can say "Play business news" or "Play sports news," for example.
    how-to-get-siri-to-play-a-news-brief03-800x481.jpg

To hear a topical news brief from a specific source, you can say "Play business news from Bloomberg" or "Play sports news from the BBC," for example.
As you might have guessed, news sources can differ depending on your region. If you're in the U.S. for example, Siri will happily play news from a range of media outlets including ESPN, NPR, Fox News, CNN, Washington Post, CNBC, and Bloomberg. As with most Siri features, improvements and additions are likely ongoing, so it's worth requesting your preferred news source just to see if it can find the relevant daily digest for you.

Article Link: How to Get Siri to Play a Daily News Digest

Nabby

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2008
I actually stumbled across this functionality after trying it on my Alexa device.

What I find useful about it is that it works via CarPlay, so I can get short on-demand briefings while on the go.

Denisg3577

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2016
Now if we could also get this to work as a shortcut. Has anyone had any luck creating this or adding it to a shortcuts string?

freezah

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2012
Alexa have skills, where you can install a skill from local news service (for countries not even officially supported by Alexa) and you can listen to your local news just by asking “Alexa, what’s the news?”. You can whisper to Alexa and she’ll reply whispering what is super cool and useful. You can ask for cryptocurrency price and she’ll tell you all about it.

Siri is way behind Alexa.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.