How to get Snow Leopard While I'm Traveling?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Corrode, Aug 3, 2009.

1. Corrode macrumors 6502a

Corrode

So I'm going traveling in a week to Japan until February. SL comes out in September. Is there any way to get access to the update in Japan, as in, have Apple mail my disc right to where I'm staying in Japan? Or, is the only option to have Apple mail it to my home in Canada, and then have a family member to mail it to me in Japan?

I'm just anticipating a less-than-patient-self if SL comes out and I don't have access to it for a few weeks. I'm currently using Leopard on a new MBP so I get the $9.99 version.

Thanks in advance to the replies.

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

3. rwilliams macrumors 68040

rwilliams

How far are you from Tokyo? If I remember correctly, there's a massive Apple store in Tokyo.

4. Signal-11 macrumors 65816

Signal-11

That would be too easy. This guy's going all the way to JAPAN. There be dragons and stuff over there.

I think the Tokyo Apple Store is one of the better looking ones:

[​IMG]

5. Corrode thread starter macrumors 6502a

Corrode

Thanks for the sarcasm. If I remember correctly, there's more than one major city in Japan. In fact, I think there are many! (Crazy, I know.)

While I'm actually going to be staying in central Japan, it would be a several hour, several hundred dollar trip to Tokyo. Can I change my address on Apple.ca and have them mail it to the place I'm staying?

6. Signal-11 macrumors 65816

Signal-11

There's something like 8-9 Apple stores in Japan. Check it out.

All kidding aside, change the title of your post to Where to Get SL in Japan and any one of the dozen MR people who are living in Japan right now will tell you how. It shouldn't be hard. It's not like you'll be at the base camp of Everest or something.

7. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Have you ordered it already?

8. bogg macrumors 6502

bogg

There's 7 Apple Stores in Japan, several Premium Resellers, other resellers and so on. You should be able to take a stroll through a couple of blocks and find a physical store that can sell you Snow Leopard or in the worst case scenario just order it from Apples Japanese website?

9. Corrode thread starter macrumors 6502a

Corrode

Thanks for the replies. I guess I'll just figure out if there's a Japanese reseller nearby because the nearest Apple Store is the distant Tokyo one. Or perhaps I'll just learn to speak Japanese and use the Japanese online store.

10. JFreak macrumors 68040

JFreak

Yea, shouldn't take that long ;D

11. dmbfan41 macrumors regular

12. CTU Kyoto macrumors member

CTU Kyoto

I lived in Japan for three years and while I was there purchased both OS X 10.3 and 10.4 without any problems. I lived in Kyoto and was able to get 10.3 from a tiny computer store in a small alley of shops. Although the disc is multilingual, they even had a copy from the United States for customers who wanted the English box and documentation.

When 10.4 came out, Sofmap (an electronics retailer that you will almost certainly find in any reasonably-sized town or city) even had a launch event. Of course, since Japan is in a much earlier time zone than the US, the launch line time was a much more comfortable 18:00! The line was also formed in an orderly fashion at a certain counter inside the shop, so I got my copy before most people in the West, and I didn't have to stand around outside an Apple Store at midnight to do it!

All in all, I don't think you'll have any problems. The caveat is that I speak Japanese, but really in the case of Sofmap you should be able to walk in on the launch day and find advertisements or standees in-store for the new software. Even if your lack of linguistic ability causes problems, Amazon Japan has an English option on their site:

http://www.amazon.co.jp/In-English/b/ref=topnav_switchLang_gw?ie=UTF8&node=1094656

It doesn't cover every single word on there but has the basic interface in English and should do you fine for ordering OS X 10.6 when it comes out. Domestic delivery is free over 1500 yen, so you won't even pay shipping. You can even opt to pay cash-on-delivery, where you just pay the delivery guy cash when he gets to your place, which is an option I found convenient when I didn't have a credit card.

Oh, and you'll be able to buy very cool Japan-only Mac, iPod and iPhone accessories :D

Incidentally, where is it you're going?