How to get sound playing through my tv

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by benjamin163, Jul 3, 2012.

1. benjamin163 macrumors newbie

I have a MacBook pro.
    Processor : 2.4ghz intel core 2 duo
    Memory : 2 gb 1067 MHz DDR3
    model identifier: MacBook pro 5,1

It's about 3 years old anyhow.
    On sat I bought a wire which goes into the mini display port and then connects with an hdmi wire which goes onto my panasonic boers tv.
    The picture comes up immediately. No fuss. No resolution questions. Excellent.
    However. There's no sound.
    When I go to settings and look in sound, there is no output option to click but 'internal speakers'. I maybe expected my tv to be up there or something.
    I have looked on this forum and there are plenty of good answers but I believe they are all for newer models than mine.
    Question is, can I hook my computer up to the tv using hdmi and get sound from the tv?
    I believe the answer is no, but if someone could confirm that would be great.
    Second question.
    I then bought one of those audio wires. One end plugs into my headphones socket. The other end goes into my red and White audio input sockets on my tv. I guessed this would do the trick. But still no sound.
    Does anyone have any idea how to remedy this? Thanks for staying with this!
    Any help gratefully received.

2. Stetrain macrumors 68040

3. blkprlz macrumors newbie

HDMI carries all info...audio & video, I'm thinkin' it's got to be your audio output settings on your mbp.

4. simsaladimbamba

As stated twice, 2009 MBPs and earlier having a Mini DisplayPort, don't support audio out via MDP. Only 2010 MBPs and later do that.

5. benjamin163 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the quick and comprehensive reply.
    Looks like I'm stuck with viewing through the computer channel then.
    Another question.
    Which resolution do I choose so that my computer screen doesn't magnify?
    Is it possible to view my computer through my tv screen in roughly the same dimensions I see on my computer screen?
    Again, any advice gratefully received.

6. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

There are plenty of resolution options to choose from, and you can choose if you wish to mirror your display or extend it in the "Arrangement" tab in Display.