How to get sponsored for your VLOG/FILM

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by salacious, May 15, 2012.

1. salacious macrumors 6502a

Hi All,

Im starting production on a short film soon, but in the meantime, i am doing a VLOG on youtube, now iv been watching film riot for about a month or two, and noticed that they get good sponsors, im presuming these sponsors pay them good money, they average around 10-25k views, which by any means isnt alot really, so what i want to know is, how can i get sponsorship like this? do i have to produce an onslaught of vlogs before approaching a company?

does anyone have any experience of this?

what are the steps?

Thanks

2. Babybandit macrumors regular

I don't personally do this, but I know a friend who has been getting offers for Sponsorships. As far as I know, it's not a merely how many views.

1) Views, Yes. It's important. But we're talking the range of 40k-100k Views for Film Riot. Not really 10-25k. That's a huge difference. And more importantly, it's also about how many viewers watch the whole video, how their attention varies in it. Their Participation in it.
    2) Subscribers. Here's the important bit. They have 150k~ Subscribers. Some active, some inactive. What matters here is not only the number, but how many you are able to retain. How many returns every week? Therefore Subscribers are often more important than the number of views a Video has.
    3) Quality of Videos. This links to views in many ways. Because the better the video, the more interested the audiences. But Sponsors generally want to align themselves with quality videos. Not some shabbily made video of a kid in his pajamas spitting out words while eating a Cheeseburger.
    4) Contacts. If I am right, Film Riot is part of Revision 3 Network, Who is HUGE. There are likely sponsors waiting to sponsor new Revision 3 Shows before they even launch. On top of that, there is chances of cross advertising between videos on the Rev3 network, increasing the potential views, thus increasing the potential eyeballs for the sponsor. I assume you aren't part of any networks? If so, things are much harder. Especially if you want quality advertisers.

Basically, if you really want to get sponsored. Forget about it. Make Quality Videos that interest you and others. Sponsors will come in time if it indeed works. Instead, if you really do need money. You can consider Youtube's Advertising Option, which isn't bad once you're tallying around 10k Views per video.

3. salacious thread starter macrumors 6502a

How about, if i approach Charities to sponsor my videos, lets say £30 a video, which to be honest is a couple of starbucks coffees to them, or even for free, could i then approach other companies and say im already being sponsored for the next 3 videos by such and such would you be interested in taking sponsorship, im not looking for big money, even £50 a vid would be nice ontop of the youtube ad money... what do you think of that?

4. acearchie macrumors 68040

acearchie

Who are your viewers? What is the subject of your VLogs? Why would a charity be interested in advertising on your videos. Don't forget that Film Riot also create the ads for the companies and more then often make them funny and engaging and in tune with the whole show.

At the moment you seem to be saying that you could do with £50 to help fund your videos but you haven't considered what you offer to advertisers. You say that £50 doesn't even touch some of the money that these companies have but they have retained the money by not making fool hardy decisions!

5. salacious thread starter macrumors 6502a

you make a good point, these are the kind of questions which will help me develop my cause, lets see, well i too could create an ad for those companies, for sponsoring me, my vlogs are aimed at people who are indie filmmakers, and i will be covering everything i do and how i did it, for example one of the questions in my first blog was how will i get a sponsor, and what i did to get it, so every now and again when i have time (which is now) i ask around and seek advise, and build up the knowledge to help others, admittedly my first blog was interesting but boring, the second one is going to be much more fun to watch and shorter.

and i would put to them to support local talent, which the uk is doing more than ever before, so i believe i would be in with a good shot after i provided some good vlogs that were entertaining, i could get around 20k subscribers, in around 2 months if i put the effort it, its just time i guess.

have you had any experience approaching for sponsorship or have been approached?

6. acearchie macrumors 68040

acearchie

What is your current channel? Can we check it out? No offense but Film Riot have a lot of production value and therefore people don't mind watching it.

My experience is that I had one video that went viral on YT and started making money from it and then was removed from the program when my sister clicked one of my ads.

At the moment, since I can't open another Google AdSense account I find there is more money in being a camera for hire!

By the way to build up 20k subscribers you really need to be offering something interesting. Where are your short films? Where is an indication that YOU should be teaching poeple?

What is your age and your background?

7. salacious thread starter macrumors 6502a

il explain my purpose as i feel this will answer everything clearly,

im 23, i have a btech in music technology and film and media,

i have made e-learning videos for a company i was working for, simple motion stuff and nothing to spectacular.

The purpose of my vlog is that im a person wanting to be an indie filmmaker, and hopefully be rich in 2 years time, well thats the aim anyway, i will ultimatly become a multimedia digital artist, covering all aspects of media, audio video graphics that kinda thing, and in the vlog youl follow me as i discuss my progress what i did, where i learnt it, and pass on tips with real life proof, im also going to be doing a short film in about 2 months i reckon, and will be covering it from head to toe, and applying for funding on kickstarter, the whole point is that if i succeed or fail, it will help others like me, and give a much better perspective of doing something that most poeple like me wanted to do in the first place.

did that make sense? im not good at explaining things in text, im more of a talker...

8. fa8362 macrumors 65816

Good luck. Your chances of being rich as an indie filmmaker in 2 years time are virtually zero.

9. salacious thread starter macrumors 6502a

realisticly yes, your correct, however i have big ambitiions and im not doing to bad myself now anyways, so i reckon il at least get halfway there, i dont like to compare myself to other people and say oh coz he done it or coz he didnt do it in that certain amount of time doesnt mean i can or cant.

but thats my look on things..

10. Babybandit macrumors regular

Here's my question. What sets you apart from the other 250,000 people doing the same thing? You say that you will discuss the process of what you are doing and did as an indie filmmaker.

Why do I care? What have you done that makes me care what you have done as an indie filmmaker? If AceArchie made a Video Blog on what he did as a indie filmmaker, documenting the process, the lessons he learnt in making The Edge (Awesome Short btw, if you are reading this!). I would watch it. Because I've seen his work, and have seen a level of intricacy that makes him stand out from the 1/10th of the joes on the internet. What makes you special?

I hope I'm not sounding horrible. I'm just being critical. But I get the impression you're doing the Video Blog for the money first and foremost. That's not going to work well. You're a random Joe. The Internet cares not for you. Consider this both a time and monetary investment. But spend $200 (Or Whatever you can afford). Make 2 Short Films a Month for half a year. Build up a Library of Content that shows off you as a Filmmaker. If they're good, You'll get views. If they're interesting, You'll get questions on what you did etc. Make Videos to answer their questions. Add in documentation footage of you doing that. Build up a community over time. Do not expect any money or sponsors in your first year. Commit to building a Community first and foremost. So people will return.

Instead of asking for sponsorships from Charities, Offer to make free videos, to document their events. So you build up contacts for the future, and don't come off as someone who's just asking money wherever you can. It's about that long term relationship.

11. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

I think you are putting the cart before the horse. Do your vlog, get followers then go after sponsors. And be prepared for sponsors to give/loan you things as opposed to paying you money. For example, if you were doing a vlog about proper lighting technique you might talk Lowe into loaning you a light kit to use (or something along those lines). Of course w/sponsors you have to be careful to serve your sponsor well but at the same time not come across like you'll sell your soul to anyone that will sponsor you.

But, first things, make a good content, having something new up at least once a week, and as others have said expect to do it for at least a year before gaining any traction. There's something like 40hrs of new content uploaded to YouTube every minute. Most of it's crap but just the sheer volume of it makes it that much harder for the good stuff to be found.

Lethal

12. salacious thread starter macrumors 6502a

i see your point very clearly, i will need to work on a USP and attract views and make shorts to prove that i have talent, as they say the proof is in the pudding.

and the short that im going to be making i was going to document the whole process, iv also set up links with bands in the uk and other digitial artists, recording what they do and interviews and stuff, so hopefully il grab some of their audience.

Thanks for the info

----------

Yeah i can see your point the general message seems to be coming to me that i need to make good content that consistent and what people want to see and have a good fan base, and some material to back up my claim of being a talent...

13. acearchie macrumors 68040

acearchie

Wow thanks a lot for this! Wasn't expecting it and it was a bit surreal reading your post and half way through realising it was about my film :p I would have liked to document as that film as how to NOT do a production. The entire crew was 3, 2 being the cast and the final person being me to do everything. If I had got a little bit of help on sound, bouncing a reflector and generally having a helping hand it would have been a lot better!

I think this is the most important factor. Anyone who's anyone can make 5+ films about DIY movie techniques etc. but to make 52 (a year) or even more is very difficult. Write down a list of at least 25 topics that you can cover. It is of course possible but it's whether you can sit through the dark days where you are churning out content and literally only getting a couple of views. Do you have a stable source of income to support you if you try this?

Where is the content you have created already? Personally I wouldn't follow someones progress if I was unsure of how the final film would look. If I had seen a showreel or a previous short I could expect this production to even be a bit better and if I liked the short then I would probably like the next one even more.

One other niggling factor for me is the fact that you say your degree is in a music related field meaning that whilst you may have an eye for filmmaking you might not have the technical onset skills that are taught to you at film school.

Whilst the final film could be amazing, if people watch your BTS videos and see an unprofessional crew they might lost faith in the project especially when they will want to learn how things are done properly.