How to get stuff out of Documents folder?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by jeremy6044, Jan 15, 2008.

1. jeremy6044 macrumors regular

I just got Office 2008 today, and it put a big "Microsoft User Data" folder in my Documents folder. Plus, iChat puts a folder there, too.

Is there any way to get these programs to not put their useless settings or backups or whatever folders in my Documents folder so I can keep it uncluttered? I mean, seriously...we don't need access to those folders. Why do they put them there?

2. Makosuke macrumors 603

Not sure about iChat (wouldn't that just be for downloads or something?), but in the case of Office, it's done that since at least 2004, and pretty sure vX did as well.

You can use an alias in the Documents folder to store it elsewhere, but of course that doesn't unclutter the folder. I suppose you could use a utility to make its folder invisible--that should be possible.

While I'm not so fanatical about keeping my Documents folder clean, I do agree that MS really should have put that stuff in Library somewhere.

3. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

Office, Toast, Parallels, Final Cut Express all put folders in your documents folder. i agree that theys hould place them in the library, but if your using more and more apps your gonna have to live with it.

you could use "Mac Pilot" to make the folders invisible. i dont know how it does it but its done without putting a period before the filename.

4. jeremy6044 thread starter macrumors regular

i guess an easier thing to do is get rid of finder and dock aliases to the documents folder and instead have aliases the folder of your stuff inside of the documents folder. in essence, bypassing all that junk.

5. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

This is exactly what I did, I created a folder in Documents called Documents where i put my stuff.

Just wish app devs would stay out of there.