How to get surround audio macbook air to TV

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by i-sidd, Mar 22, 2013.

1. i-sidd macrumors 6502a

I have a macbook air which i connect with teh mini dvi to hdmi, which I then connect to my TV.

I have a panasonic HTIB and fios set top box. The digital audio is connected from the tv to the receiver. The receiver only has I HDMI input

When I connect my macbook to the tv I get video, but audio is coming from TV speakers.

I want them to come through the receiver. How can I set this up.

2. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Connect the Macbook directly to the receiver instead of to the TV.

3. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

My TV has a SPDIF/toslink audio output which I then connect to my receiver, that lets me keep everything plugged straight into the TV and use the TV speakers with the receiver off - or turn down the TV volume, turn on the receiver, and use that.

4. takeshi74 macrumors 601

I'm not familiar with FIOS boxes but if it uses HDMI and you don't want to have to move cables all the time then get an HDMI switcher.

Depending on what the TV passes through that may or may not work. My TV does the same but doesn't support all audio formats IIRC.

5. JoeBlow74 macrumors regular

If you can, hook up the Mac to the receiver using HDMI. This will give you the best surround sound you can get. Then connect the Fios box to the TV directly. If your TV has a setting called "audio Return", enable that setting. This will allow you to get audio from the Fios box, through your TV and to the receiver using HDMI. Even the best HD content with 5.1 surround that is provided from Fios, Dish, DirectTV, or Comcast is not very good. Most shows are stereo and very few are in 5.1 surround.