Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!
  • Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

i-sidd

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 27, 2006
I have a macbook air which i connect with teh mini dvi to hdmi, which I then connect to my TV.

I have a panasonic HTIB and fios set top box. The digital audio is connected from the tv to the receiver. The receiver only has I HDMI input

When I connect my macbook to the tv I get video, but audio is coming from TV speakers.

I want them to come through the receiver. How can I set this up.

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 68040
Sep 8, 2011
Eureka Springs, Arkansas
My TV has a SPDIF/toslink audio output which I then connect to my receiver, that lets me keep everything plugged straight into the TV and use the TV speakers with the receiver off - or turn down the TV volume, turn on the receiver, and use that.

Comment

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
The receiver only has I HDMI input
I'm not familiar with FIOS boxes but if it uses HDMI and you don't want to have to move cables all the time then get an HDMI switcher.

My TV has a SPDIF/toslink audio output which I then connect to my receiver, that lets me keep everything plugged straight into the TV and use the TV speakers with the receiver off - or turn down the TV volume, turn on the receiver, and use that.
Depending on what the TV passes through that may or may not work. My TV does the same but doesn't support all audio formats IIRC.

Comment

JoeBlow74

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2012
If you can, hook up the Mac to the receiver using HDMI. This will give you the best surround sound you can get. Then connect the Fios box to the TV directly. If your TV has a setting called "audio Return", enable that setting. This will allow you to get audio from the Fios box, through your TV and to the receiver using HDMI. Even the best HD content with 5.1 surround that is provided from Fios, Dish, DirectTV, or Comcast is not very good. Most shows are stereo and very few are in 5.1 surround.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.