How to get system volume control on Dell monitor

Discussion in 'macOS' started by cutcopypaste, Mar 14, 2015.

1. cutcopypaste macrumors regular

I have a DELL U2715H Display and while the HDMI carries the audio, it makes it so I cannot use the system volume to control the audio output to the speakers I have plugged into the monitor.

I got a recommendation for Soundflower, and installed that along with soundflowerbed, but unfortunately the sound quality is VERY bad. Tons of tics and artifacts and stutters..

I wonder if there's another way to get system wide volume control?
    I can fiddle with the volume on specific apps, but then when i'm on headphones or whatnot it gets tricky to keep things at all consistent. (and right now for my music to be pretty loud in itunes, the volume control is at less than 5%...)

2. Gwendolini macrumors 6502

Gwendolini

Why go through the monitor at all and not use the direct output of your Mac?

3. cutcopypaste thread starter macrumors regular

I'm trying to keep the hookups to a minimum when I dock.. this way the audio cable can live in my monitor

4. Gwendolini macrumors 6502

Gwendolini

5. TheOuch macrumors newbie

This happens to me too

I had to add speakers with a volume knob.

6. xenpearl3 macrumors newbie

on most of the dell monitors like that you can use the buttons on the bottom right of the monitor itself to adjust the volume when on HDMI. It's not the same as using the keyboard settings from your mac, but it's easy enough to do. That's the simplest, low cable bloat solution I can think of.

7. joeykork macrumors newbie

Some monitors allow using DDC for controlling their internal speaker volume along with brightness & contrast.
    Mac displays don't use DDC at all.

I write a command line DDC setter for Mac here:
    http://github.com/kfix/ddcctl

to bump the volume on your 1st display 5 "ticks" (the actual dB change varies between monitor brands), you'd do:
    ddcctl -d 1 -v 5+

However, that's not nearly as well implemented across manufacturers as the brightness (-b)/contrast (-c) controls.

No one has yet made a nice status bar slider or Prefpane that controls all options on multiple external monitors.
    So I use my cli tool with Today-Scripts/ & Karabiner for quickly toggling my monitors bright and dim.

8. nolem macrumors member

Just hooked up my shiny new Dell SE2716H and same issue here with audio over HDMI. So I ran a male to male headphone cable from my mac mini to the audio in jack on the monitor which allows me to use the mac's system and keyboard volume controls.