Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

osofast240sx

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2011
If u have apple care + then it will cost u $49 dollars to get the new version. Apple will replace your phone twice.

E2EK1EL

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2012

Attachments

• T-Mobile-LTE-on-iPhone-5.jpg
    T-Mobile-LTE-on-iPhone-5.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 102

E2EK1EL

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2012
T-Mobile LTE successfully running on the current A1428 iPhone 5 (jailbroken).

Sorry for the double post, might as well place my opinion about this.

This is getting quite interesting here, modifying the carrier plist on the current A1428 model and T-Mobile US LTE is up and running. Too bad the screenshots are not showing higher speeds, it "could" be DC-HSPDA connection w/ a LTE indicator. I'm not doubting the screenshots, anything is possible right now.

Updated:

FCC filing shows no hardware changes the new A1428 model

http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/...aws-bandwidths

Last edited:

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
As a current T-mobile customer on contract, how do I go about getting the new model in April? Can I go into the store and buy it full price?

Depends on what type of plan you're currently on. If you're already on a Value Plan that uses installments then you can just pay the $99 down and do the installments. If you're on an old subsidized plan then you'll have to either pay full price or migrate to the new plans.

RotaryP7

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2011
Miami, FL
As a current T-mobile customer on contract, how do I go about getting the new model in April? Can I go into the store and buy it full price?

You can if you wish. You can also finance the phone depending on the rate plan that you have.

Classic plans or Value.

But to be honest, most stores won't let you buy the iPhone outright when it releases since they'll lose money. Just go to the Apple store.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
But to be honest, most stores won't let you buy the iPhone outright when it releases since they'll lose money. Just go to the Apple store.

Can you explain how they would lose money if you buy the iphone full price? They are not subsidizing the phone.
They're letting you pay off the phone over 24 months with no interest charged.
So they're putting up the money for you upfront and then waiting for you to pay it off over time. Once you pay it off you don't have to pay the additional $20 per month for the device.

osofast240sx

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2011
Sorry for the double post, might as well place my opinion about this.

This is getting quite interesting here, modifying the carrier plist on the current A1428 model and T-Mobile US LTE is up and running. Too bad the screenshots are not showing higher speeds, it "could" be DC-HSPDA connection w/ a LTE indicator. I'm not doubting the screenshots, anything is possible right now.

Updated:

FCC filing shows no hardware changes the new A1428 model

http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/...aws-bandwidths
Try changing all of your APN: Fast.T-Mobile.com

upnorth85

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2011
MN, USA
LTE will be enabled on 12th April when an update will do it. Many people are already using LTE on jailbroken iPhone 5: http://www.tmonews.com/2013/03/how-to-enable-lte-on-your-jailbroken-iphone-5-right-now/

Regarding the question of the difference, the new iPhone 5 with AWS would be much better than the current iPhone 5. T-mobile's AWS coverage is pretty good. Their 1900 Mhz PCS refarming projected started 12 months ago, and they are not ready for prime time. But if one lives in a downtown area, then it is not a problem. Most outer suburbs have very sparse coverage on the PCS frequencies.

RotaryP7

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2011
Miami, FL
Can you explain how they would lose money if you buy the iphone full price? They are not subsidizing the phone.
They're letting you pay off the phone over 24 months with no interest charged.
So they're putting up the money for you upfront and then waiting for you to pay it off over time. Once you pay it off you don't have to pay the additional $20 per month for the device.

They will lose money if you buy the phone outright without a plan to which I'm talking about. Most stores will not let you purchase the iPhone without financing the phone, paying it off the same day is another story. :rolleyes:

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
They will lose money if you buy the phone outright without a plan to which I'm talking about. Most stores will not let you purchase the iPhone without financing the phone, paying it off the same day is another story. :rolleyes:

They still will NOT lose money. They will just sell the phone full price without getting you into a monthly plan with Tmobile.
That does not equal losing any money. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

BarkingGhost

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2011
Atlanta+35 miles
This isn't correct. TMo already said they will sell the unlocked phone at full price, and Apple said they'll be selling it both ways (stopped in and asked this morning).

BTW, all this LTE stuff needs to also remember that WCDMA also has provisions out to 160 Mbps, but few carriers (and even fewer handset makers) have yet to deploy them.

RotaryP7

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2011
Miami, FL
They still will NOT lose money. They will just sell the phone full price without getting you into a monthly plan with Tmobile.
That does not equal losing any money. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Explain how T-Mobile does not lose any money selling a phone outright, without a rate plan?
This should be amusing.. :rolleyes:

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
Explain how T-Mobile does not lose any money selling a phone outright, without a rate plan?
This should be amusing.. :rolleyes:

You don't make any sense.
They sell it full price and make a profit by the sale just like any other retailer.
$649 plus tax for the 16GB model.
They do not lose any money when they're selling you a device full price.

Last edited:

jmflo571

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2012
No LTE icon for me, assuming because I have the Verizon unlocked ip5 , however I now have a 4g icon instead of 3G after trying the jailbreak hack.

Speeds seem about the same as before but browsing seems to respond quicker after pressing go on safari.

beeinformed

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2010
I have a feeling apple is going to have a lot of unlocked iPhone 5 claims after April 12

I have the Apple Care Plan (without the plus), would I still be able to replace the phone without having the additional accidental coverage protection? Thanks!

Shanpdx

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2008
Blazer town!
They sell it full price and make a profit by the sale just like any other retailer.

t-mobile selling at $580 and as discussed many times, they will be paying $649 or less to Apple. they buy millions of iPhone from Apple so they do not pay $649 like we do individually.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
t-mobile selling at $580 and as discussed many times, they will be paying $649 or less to Apple. they buy millions of iPhone from Apple so they do not pay $649 like we do individually.

I hear you on that.
All resellers make a profit when they sell a device.
Places like walmart, bestbuy, target and everyone else don't sell them without making anything.
$580 is a pretty good deal though.

I have the Apple Care Plan (without the plus), would I still be able to replace the phone without having the additional accidental coverage protection? Thanks!

Nope.
The regural applecare only covers manufacturers defects.
If there is user damage you will have to pay the $229 fee to get a replacement

RotaryP7

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2011
Miami, FL

I'm sure T-Mobile buys the iPhone for less than what they sell it for ($580) but either way, selling a device without a contract/plan does not benefit them. Thus, making no profit. That device could of gone to a customer who wanted a rate plan and purchased a line. Therefore, losing money. What good does selling a device outright do to the carrier? The rate plans is where the money is made. I'm just trying to make a basic point here. That's all.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
I'm sure T-Mobile buys the iPhone for less than what they sell it for ($580) but either way, selling a device without a contract/plan does not benefit them. Thus, making no profit. That device could of gone to a customer who wanted a rate plan and purchased a line. Therefore, losing money. What good does selling a device outright do to the carrier? The rate plans is where the money is made. I'm just trying to make a basic point here. That's all.

I hear you on that.
I agree that it doesn't benefit them much since they want their current customers to either stay with them or others to switch to them from competitors:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.