How to get tap notification but no sound

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Metsfan7450, May 14, 2015.

1. Metsfan7450 macrumors regular

Metsfan7450

It seems like when I mute the sound or turn off sound in notification, I don't get the tap either. Is there a way to get the tap notification, but no sound?

2. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Don't have this problem. Do you happen to have vibrate on silent in iPhone settings, as several apps mirror the iPhone?

Also, do you have prominent haptic to on in Watch settings?

3. HippieMagic macrumors 6502

I turned up the notification to max and have no issues when I mute the watch. Maybe you just aren't noticing it?

4. flur macrumors 68000

I keep the volume up on the watch, but wear it in silent mode (in the glance that lets you ping your iphone, the bell is pink with a slash through it). I get all the taps but the watch makes no sounds.

5. bjdraw macrumors 6502a

You should get taps even when the sound is off. I have seen others mention a bug that I've experienced where haptic feedback stops working completely. You can confirm this by force touching to customize a watch face and ensuring you feel it. Luckily a simple watch reset restores it.

6. JonMPLS macrumors 65816

Just one other note. Kind of a "doh" moment on my part. I was checking for notifications a lot the day I got my watch--kind of running tests from my other phone and PC. What I did not figure out for a while was that if my linked iPhone was not asleep, the notifications were on the phone only. Dumb mistake on my part, but just mentioning it in case anyone thinks they are having a problem.

7. flur macrumors 68000

Forgot to mention, when I turned the sound all the way down on mine, I stopped getting taps. So maybe there's a bug there? Try turning the sound up and putting the watch on silent mode.

I've also noticed there's a disconnect between the phone showing mute (silent mode is controlled by the mute button in the watch app) and the watch actually being in silent mode. My app often shows the mute as being off, but if I take the watch out of silent mode and then put it back in while looking at the button in the app, it will change to show mute is on.

8. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

I had this problem and it was my phone silent setting causing the issue.

To fix...

Go into the Apple watch app and select the thing you want to be notified of. Say messages. Change the setting from Murrow iPhone to custom then select what you'd like via the switch options.

If you have vibrate on silent off then this bypasses that just for the watch.

The other option is to turn vibrate on silent back on.