How to get texts back after jailbreaking?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by thewizzy, Jan 8, 2011.

1. thewizzy macrumors member

Just did a jailbreak on my iPhone 4 (4.2.1) using redsn0w.

Is there a way to retrieve my previous texts, contacts, and settings?

I backed up my phone before jailbreaking.

2. thewizzy thread starter macrumors member

So I decided to restore my iPhone to my old backup until I get an answer to this... only the backup I made before jailbreaking was overwritten when I synced up my phone after jailbreaking.

Please please please tell me there is a way to get that backup I made a few hours ago. The backup doesn't show up in iTunes, it just shows the one after jailbreaking. Will a system restore work?

FML.

3. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

Are you sure you backed up but not just sync?
    Did you right click the iphone icon in iTunes and press back up?

4. thewizzy thread starter macrumors member

I didn't. I remembered from an earlier time when it just synced up and I was able to restore from backup. I know I'm stupid and am paying the price now.

However, after jailbreaking and plugging in my phone, iTunes gave me an option to "set up new phone" or "restore to backup"

The restore to backup had an option to restore to the backup that was created during that sync before jailbreaking. I don't know. I guess I screwed up. Now I guess I have to restore to my backup from 3 months ago. :(

EDIT: Just restored to the backup I had 3 months ago except now I don't have my contacts. What is going on? :/

5. kre62 macrumors 68000

Restore from backup, then use SSH or ifunbox or iphone explorer to grab the sms.db file out of var/mobile/library/sms. Then restore and set up as a new iphone, and put that file back in the spot mentioned. You'll need to change the permissions to get it to work, the easiest way is to use ifile on the phone and set to full permissions (Read, Write, Execute, easy to do and is obvious when you access the file through ifile on your phone). You'll then have the texts on a set up as new iphone.

6. labman macrumors 604

labman

always do a current backup before you load new firmware restore on anything that should be common sense. I hope your not messed up to bad.

7. thewizzy thread starter macrumors member

I restored my phone to the backup from 3 months ago but now I don't have ANY of my settings. I have my texts but no contacts, no settings, nothing.

....I don't understand this

8. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

If you are using Mac then your contacts should be in the Address Book. Just plug your iPhone and in iTunes... choose to sync from address book

9. thewizzy, Jan 8, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2011

thewizzy thread starter macrumors member

I'm using WinXP but neither Windows Address Book or Outlook contain my contacts.. should I restore from a different date?

EDIT: Nevermind. Restored from another day and got everything back.