How to get the best battery life on your iDevice - iOS 9

Discussion in 'iOS 9' started by mazdamiata210, Sep 29, 2015.

?

Has this improved your battery life?

1. Yes

2. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Thread Status:
The first post in this thread is a WikiPost, and can be edited by anyone with the appropriate permissions.
  1. mazdamiata210 macrumors 6502

Assuming you have a freshly restored or new iDevice follow the steps below. If you are having serious battery issues I recommend restoring your device in iTunes and choosing the option to "Setup as New".

1. Settings > WiFi > Disable Ask to Join Networks

2. Settings > Cellular > Enable LTE > OFF

3. Settings > Cellular > Go all the way to the bottom > Turn OFF Wi-Fi Assist

4. Settings > General > Spotlight Search > Turn OFF everything there

5. Settings > General > Handoff & Suggested Apps > Turn OFF everything there

6. Settings > General > Accessibility > Reduce Motion > ON

7. Settings > General > Background App Refresh > switch it OFF

8. Settings > General > Date & Time > Turn OFF Set Automatically

9. Settings > Privacy > Location Services > Make sure all apps are set to "Never" or "While Using". Go to Share My Location and make sure it is OFF. Then go back to Location Services and go down to System Services and turn OFF everything there except for Find my iPhone/iPad/iPod.

10. Settings > Privacy > Motion & Fitness > Turn OFF Fitness Tracking

11. Settings > Privacy > Diagnostic & Usage > Check OFF Don't Send

12. Settings > Privacy > Advertising > Turn on Limit Ad Tracking, then press Reset Advertising Identifier

13. Settings > iCloud > Turn OFF anything here you don't use. I recommend turning OFF iCloud Drive, Everything in Photos, News, and Wallet.

14. Settings > App and iTunes Store > Turn OFF everything here.

15. Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars > Fetch New Data > Tap on anything here besides iCloud and set it to Manual.

16. Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars > Turn OFF Contacts Found in Mail

17. Settings > Messages > Turn OFF iMessage if you don't use it.

17. Settings > Messages > Turn OFF Send Read Receipts.

17. Settings > Messages > Turn OFF Group Messaging.

18. Settings > Facetime > Turn OFF if not used.

19. Settings > Safari > Turn OFF Preload Top Hit. Turn OFF Safari Suggestions. Turn OFF Quick Website Search.

20. Settings > Safari > Turn ON Do Not Track.

21. Settings > News > Turn OFF Cellular Data. Turn OFF Show Story Previews.

22. Settings > Music > Turn OFF Show Apple Music if you don't use it.

23. Settings > Music > Turn OFF Use Cellular Data.

24. Settings > Videos > Turn OFF Show iTunes Purchases.

25. Settings > Photos & Camera > Turn off everything here.

26. Settings > iBooks > Turn OFF Cellular Data. Turn OFF Sync Bookmarks and Notes. Turn OFF Sync Collections. Turn OFF Online Content.

27. Settings > Podcasts > Turn off Sync Podcasts. Turn OFF Cellular Data. Change Refresh Every to MANUAL.

28. Settings > Game Center > Tap on your email address > Sign Out.

(iPhone 6 Plus - iOS 8.4.1)
    [​IMG]

2. treichert macrumors 6502

So basically I turn off everything, that makes my iPhone an iPhone and every major new feature since 2007?

3. Yun0, Sep 29, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2015

Yun0 macrumors 65816

Yun0

too much neutering of ur device, & theres lots of myth solutions in there...

my 1 year old iphone 6 battery with the "horrible battery draining laggy sucking" ios 9 still has great battery equal or slightly better than ios 8.4.1 & hardly have anything thats listed, set like so.

we also have low power mode..stripping features to that level is not needed anymore if it ever was. or we could beg apple for an iphone 7B, B for battery. the phone having the thickness of lets say the iphone 4, priced between the standard battery size iphone 7 & iphone 7+, seems like a fine idea me thinks

4. illyb2000 macrumors 6502

I would have to restore to 8.4.1 to sync iPhone then update to 9.0.1 as it Itunes hangs when pressing the phone icon on 9, I have a vista. My battery went through 30% in 5 hours overnight and it says home and lock screen 44% was the highest.

5. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

I don't agree with this kind of advice. You basically disabled every new feature. Welcome to 2012 again ....

6. toughnut macrumors member

I usually done the #3-#7 and #10-#12. Run like a champ all day.

7. IBoB1973 macrumors newbie

IBoB1973

exactly my thoughts

i have everything turned on and i avg 29 hours a charge perfectly happy with that

8. mazdamiata210, Sep 30, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2015

mazdamiata210 thread starter macrumors 6502

Pretty sure I never said you HAVE to do this. The title says "How to get the BEST battery life on your iDevice" which means if you want the BEST battery life, then follow the steps I listed. I don't understand you people commenting. This is targeted toward the power user who is on their phone non-stop looking to squeeze every last drop out of it.

Tell me why any of this needs to be on?
    [​IMG]

9. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

A power user, by definition, uses the capabilities of his device. You are not.
    I could find an use for many, if not all, of those toggles

10. ddic macrumors newbie

What about use the phone and enjoy all the features? I heard that battery will last even more in airplane mode! :D

11. C DM macrumors Westmere

While I do many of the things myself, for various reasons, I think that a good chuck of them might not have much to do with battery life at all.

12. liteshow macrumors regular

Hey give the OP a break guys! He's just trying to give us some helpful advise that may not apply for everyone.

Actually, the list OP provided is pretty good. A lot of users will just keep everything turned on by default. There will be some of us that don't use all the functions and turning them off will save battery life.

For example, #1 - that's a given - using "ask to join networks" only if you are troubleshooting or something. I don't want my phone to be prompting everytime I move around in a new wifi zone. Also, #15 is what I use for my contacts in gmail. There is no reason to be fetching contacts every hour or 15 mins, so best setting is to set it to manual. Reason is contacts get synced automatically when ever a change is made even if you have fetch set to manual. There's at least 5 more others that I use on that list.

BTW, I always turned off settings that I don't need. Also I've never had battery issues with every release of ios since I starting using the iphone 3 years ago. Maybe that's related some how. :)

13. Stalyn macrumors regular

14. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

If someone with little knowledge about those settings follow all the advices, he would end up with a device deprived of many useful capabilities

15. darkinners macrumors member

I have a better idea, turn off the iphone, sell it and get a nokia 3310.
    That bugger's battery should last you weeks.

16. Blaster13 macrumors 6502

Blaster13

Basically might aswell go back to Nokia 3310 and not have a feature phone

17. Mercenary macrumors 6502a

If I were to be away from a power outlet for 2 days, I might want to do this (or just put it in low power mode) but for the modern world where everywhere I go there is an outlet and I have a charger, I would like to keep my phones features.

I honestly hate these battery guides which just neuter your phone.

Did you know the Nokia 3310 had only 2 hours talk time vs the iPhone having 14 :) It could sit on your desk for a week doing nothing but use it as a phone and your stuffed.

18. C DM macrumors Westmere

Realistically at this point with iOS 9, if you are in a situation where you might want to conserve battery power you can basically enable Low Power Mode which will do most of the things that are mentioned and have an impact on battery life.

19. soms macrumors 6502

soms

Wtf?

So essentially it's no longer an iPhone? Why would you do this lol?

Just leave things alone. This is worse than the people that constantly close out their apps...which actually LOWERS battery life.

20. Abarth1200 macrumors regular

This is good advice to help people realise they that they don't need everything turned on. Take from it what you want, I did. Grow up kids

21. Noble Actual macrumors 6502a

22. Noble Actual macrumors 6502a

Only true for most apps but some of them particularly games, you should close them or they drain like crazy. Talking about games like Hearthstone, Infinity Blade, Madden NFL, Fifa.

23. Yun0 macrumors 65816

Yun0

ill mail u a pizza. finally someone understands that

24. simon lefisch macrumors 6502a

simon lefisch

I have most of these turned on and get about 12 hours of battery.

25. humar macrumors 6502

humar

Thread Status:
The first post in this thread is a WikiPost, and can be edited by anyone with the appropriate permissions.