How to get the fastest read speed for FCP?

calviin

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 16, 2008
I get dropped frames a lot and I'm not sure why so here's my question to all of you guys. I'm using a Newer Technology Voyager Q dock for external hard drives. Firewire should hit around 80 MB or so theoretically right? But my read and write speeds are barely higher than 50 MB/s. I'm thinking of getting a RAID 5 enclosure to get that extra speed boost but this article says that there's a bug that hinders the speed after 1 TB? Can anyone confirm if this is true? Or should I look at other enclosures?

mBox

macrumors 68020
Jun 26, 2002
I get dropped frames a lot and I'm not sure why so here's my question to all of you guys. I'm using a Newer Technology Voyager Q dock for external hard drives. Firewire should hit around 80 MB or so theoretically right? But my read and write speeds are barely higher than 50 MB/s. I'm thinking of getting a RAID 5 enclosure to get that extra speed boost but this article says that there's a bug that hinders the speed after 1 TB? Can anyone confirm if this is true? Or should I look at other enclosures?
What format are you working with? FCP version? MacOS system and os info? So much to consider.

calviin

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 16, 2008
I hit around 70 MB/s using esata. Shouldn't it hit up to 300 MB/s? I'm using a 2.2 GHz i7 2011 17" MBP. My external hard drive is a Western Digital Caviar Green. Is it the drive that's the bottleneck right now?

cgbier

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2011
Yes. The green Caviars are not really the best for video. Spend the extra money on the black ones.

WRP

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2011
Boston
Like has been said you don't want to use green drives, they aren't even 7200RPM consistent. Your bottleneck is the drive, not the bus.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.